WHY NO SIDECAR GP IN UK

Only serious sidecar issues please

Moderators: Chris Helm, Dave Tye

graham
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

WHY NO SIDECAR GP IN UK

Post by graham »

Now that the season has finished i have often wondered why we never have a sidecarcross GP in the United Kingdom anymore.I fully understand that the ACU cannot put one on because they could not contemplate making a large loss. Surely a private promoter or a very rich person could be persuaded and encouraged into putting some money into a pot to make this happen. I dont know how much it would cost to host a GP but surely the expense is nowhere near what it costs to run the solo FIM GP at Matterley basin in Hampshire. Obviously, you need a good all weather venue in a popular area. Anyone got any suggestions or observations on this topic ????
ian.uk
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Re: WHY NO SIDECAR GP IN UK

Post by ian.uk »

Please explain to me why a rich person or promoter would want to lose their money either.
I was wrong all last season, and, according to my e'mails I'm wrong this season. Still, while it is my fault no one else is getting the blame.
graham
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by graham »

Good question. This year there were 14 Sidecar GPs in 10 different countries. All of these countries with the exception of Austria are on the provisional list to run Sidecar GPs in 2018. Presumably all of those 9 GPs made a profit for their organisers. Also Spain and Portugal are on the provisional list for next year. We have top drivers in Stuart Brown in 4th place and Brett Wilkinson in 8th place this year. By all accounts there was a decent size attendance last weekend at the final British round at Sidcup. Did the Ken Hall meetings at Langrish make good profits? Given the right weather why could a future British Sidecar GP not make a reasonable profit ?
Taffy
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Taffy »

Hello Graham
I believe Langrish lost a lot of money when they held one. the big surprise is that of all the top nations involved we stand out as thee major non-participant don't we? :-(

I was sent the paperwork for the Danish GP about 6 years ago and was stunned at the costs. whatever happens you MUST find £50,000.

In the Stock Car World they have a supporters club that voluntarily sell T-shirts and other insignia etc and all profits go to the drivers which in our case should be a GP.

CH could tell you a lot more but within the governing bodies they use money from one area to help pay for another and we just can't do that. it's at times like this we need to remember that the ACU is facing as the Chinese would say: death by a thousand cuts.

regards

Taffy
I don't want a works bike I just want their address book! :?: :?:
here is a link to the SMCA web site for ya! http://smcagb.moonfruit.com/ :-D
tommo

Post by tommo »

other counties such as Denmark,Finland,Sweden and Italy are in a similar situation,
strange that Portugal and Spain are hosting especially they have had no teams for years,

one possible option could be to hold a GP along side a British mx championship, something like this happened in the 80s at Farleigh Castle, I was there,
somewhere like Foxhill could be the answer,

or is this a non starter,
Last edited by tommo on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Glazier
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Peter Glazier »

Maybe I'm being naive, but perhaps the only way is we all fund it ourselves, perhaps thro' the SMCA. Taffy says it would take £50,000, that's 500 times £100, I'd gladly chip in £100, we only need another 499 people!
I realise of course it's not that simple, and it would mean someone taking on the job of coordinating it all, a huge task! But if the SMCA, or someone else fancies starting up a fund, I'll gladly chip in.
Taffy
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Taffy »

Hello Peter

it isn't a LOSS of £50,000. £50,000 is the upfront cashflow gross figure required. these things do lose money but nothing like the sum of £50K. AS much as I would NOT like to see a GP at Canada heights, the fact remains that its location is ideal, it's owned by the Sidcup club, they are up to the task and they do have some capital behind them to have a go.

but the eventual loss MUST be covered. and as I understand, it WILL be a loss it is just the degree of it that is in question!

there is little appetite on the SMCA committee for copious hours spent slaving away, I think even the most positive would admit to 'just getting the basic job done'! For mew, this is something someone would push on with who has retired.... it suits that person. visiting people, long letters, meeting reps. it's certainly almost beyond one person or persons that can't text/take a call 8-6pm etc. The SMCA promotes ScX but doesn't 'run' meetings, we don't get involved in that area which is the link needed but not desired. perhaps in an ideal world we would have a business wing named 'SMCA promotions' or some such but to me that is a whole new ball game. Too much i think...

oddly enough, if we could only do a belting job of the IMBA, I mean a brilliant job, and that means a very strong and fruitful relationship with the AMCA or club hosting it, then it would be a start! I'm talking of an ALL sidecar meeting ala Genk!

miracles can happen!

Taffy
I don't want a works bike I just want their address book! :?: :?:
here is a link to the SMCA web site for ya! http://smcagb.moonfruit.com/ :-D
Peter Glazier
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Peter Glazier »

Hi Taffy.
You are of course correct in all you say on this, and I do realise it is a massive undertaking for any club/organisation to take on.
I think there are basically two hurdles to running a GP, the finance, and finding a club to take it on. I was simply making the point that 'crowd funding' might help with the first hurdle, as opposed to a 'wealthy person' putting up the money, that still of course leaves the second hurdle!
It is a shame that Britain, where we have a wonderfull history in Sidecarcross, and continue to be represented at the top level today, don't hold a GP these days. I am of an age where I can remember the glory days of Beenham Park, Frome, Streetly, and Canada Hieghts, but we live in an time now where costs are just so high, and we don't get the spectator numbers to cover them.
We can just live in hope that it happens again one day. At least now with Motorsport TV we can get some access to the GP's.
Shane.Horton

Post by Shane.Horton »

I'm more than happy to make a contribution.
tommo

Post by tommo »

pardon me for being a bit of a dunce but can someone explain how IMBA can put on an international in the UK,
but a GP is too expensive, why is one achievable and the other not, costs must be similar ?
elaine
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by elaine »

Hi Tommo costs involved in running an imba are roughly £15,000 give or take, and there are no riders expenses, if there is rider money ( british lads got £400 divided by amount of teams traveling per event except british round ) is paid by AMCA, also club running imba have option to go it alone or share costs 50/50 with AMCA ,therefor splitting loss/profit. Believe cost of a sidecar GP is nearer £100,000 although I have no experience in running a ACU event.Also prize money for winning a 3 races at a imba MAY match qualification money at GP
SMCAPollyPR
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by SMCAPollyPR »

Pretty sure if you speak to some, that someone has already tried to raise the money needed for a British GP... but didn’t even get close to the amount needed..

There just isn’t the money in people’s pockets... no matter how much we want to see a GP here...