British Championship eligibility

Only serious sidecar issues please

Moderators: Chris Helm, Dave Tye

Peter Glazier
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

British Championship eligibility

Post by Peter Glazier »

Could someone please let me know, if a new driver starting this year wants to enter the British Championship rounds, what is the criteria for being eligible?
Thanks.
Chris Helm
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Re: British Championship eligibility

Post by Chris Helm »

Peter
Here is the relevant paragraph from the BC regs:

1.5 RIDERS QUALIFICATION 2018
British Sidecar Cross Championship
-Open to a maximum of 40 registered crews taken in the following order:
Top 25 point scorers from 2017 British Championship.
Top 10 point scorers from the 2017 British ACU Clubmans Championship
Any remaining places will be allocated at the discretion of the ACU Motocross Department
Wild cards may be taken at individual rounds.
National Expert Sidecar Cross Championship
The National Expert Sidecar Cross Championship will exclude any rider who has finished in the top 10
overall British championship positions form the previous year. It will also exclude any rider that has
competed in a World Championship Sidecar Cross event in the previous 2 seasons. It will also exclude
any rider that has competed in a World Championship Sidecar Cross event in the previous two seasons or
who contests a World Sidecar Cross Championship event in the current year, (if this happens any points
scored by that crew will be frozen at the point in which the rider competed at the GP). This restriction does
not apply to passengers.
(A wild card driver is a non-registered riders who, if an ACU/SACU licence holder, meets the qualifying
criteria in this paragraph; International riders should be point scorers in their own national championships.
Proof may be required.)
The ACU Motocross Committee reserves the right to invite or consider any rider, for the whole series, who
in their opinion would enhance the Championship for the good of the sport. The Committee also have the
right to refuse any rider for the National Expert Series who in their opinion will not enhance the
championship for the good of the sport.

Hope this helps

Chris
Peter Glazier
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Peter Glazier »

Hi Chris, thanks for that.
So as I read it, anyone can apply for a 'wild card' entry, and it's up to the ACU if that entry is accepted. Presumably the criteria being if there is a space.
Peter Glazier
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Peter Glazier »

On the subject of the British Championship, we should get an exciting one this year. I hear Stuart and Joe are racing again this year, and are now using AMS engines, and of course Brett and Dan were very much on the pace towards the end of last season once they got back on Zabel engines, and Brett recovered from his collarbone injury, so should be a good battle between them for the title. I know in the past, when Dan and Joe Millard got up to Stuart's pace, Stuart just seemed to be able to change up a gear, maybe he can again this time, we shall see!
I know we have lost a few quick drivers of recent years, but we've some new ones coming thro' all the time as well, so here's hoping for a good, exciting season at home and at the GP's
Doogle
Active Visitor 500
Active Visitor 500

Post by Doogle »

Hi Pete
There are two Clubmans rounds before the first British, so two meetings to show that the required standard is met.
Basically ride well, score some points, dont be a mobile chicane or roadblock and you should be OK.
Register if you want to, Sonia @ the ACU will be in touch with the SMCA for our verdict.
Peter Glazier
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Peter Glazier »

Thanks Doogle.
I'm asking on behalf of my nephew Tom, he's passengering for a driver new to sidecars this year, although he's had many years as a solo rider. They're pretty keen, and are hoping to get into the British Championships, but we weren't sure how it works, so thanks to you and Chris for the info.