Problems for SidecarCross.com

General forum information, forum rules, and requests regarding these forums. Also, questions and issues regarding the SidecarCross.com web site.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Problems for SidecarCross.com

Post by Scott »

We have a problem here at SidecarCross.com. The expenses to keep the web site going are becoming too high. For the past 9 years I have paid for whole web site. These days Rien does most of updating, and we share the work when there are technical problems. In the future, I think Rien will be taking on even more of the work, possibly 100%. But he is not in a good position to pay the monthly expenses. So, we are looking for ways to help pay for the web site. If we don’t solve this problem, we will have to close down the whole site. So, if you find this web site valuable, please post a reply here and let us know about any ideas you have.
Sam Van Tongerloo
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Sam Van Tongerloo »

you could place banners, although it harms the site a bit. other ways maybe a pay pal link? i've seen it on other sites. Only disadvantage : it's based on voluntary donations. Maybe some sort of sponsors could do it?
Rien.nl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rien.nl »

Sam Van Tongerloo wrote:you could place banners, although it harms the site a bit. other ways maybe a pay pal link? i've seen it on other sites. Only disadvantage : it's based on voluntary donations. Maybe some sort of sponsors could do it?
Over a half year this image Image with hyperlink is placed on the frontpage without any reaction.
I did also send many, many emails to potential sponsors, all without any result. ](*,)

So, now the question is "why am i doing this". It seem that nobody is interested. (unless the results are not posted in 10 minutes)
If there is anyone who can give me 1 good reason to continue next season should now open his mouth and give reply.
Scott and i invest a big amount of money and time to promote the sport and inform you all about events, race, results, etc. etc.

Now the main point:
Scott doesn't have time enough to do anything on Sidecarcross.com
I like to do it with pleasure, but the costs are much to high, so i can't admit all the cost to keep this website online.
Consequences: at the moment is only 1 option available.... CLOSING SIDECARCROSS.COM

Without your help it will be reality in 2006

Click here to read our sponsor proposal, print it out and spread it
Don Harte

Post by Don Harte »

I am pledging $100 U.S. dollars. I will mail it to Scott. This is the website I check everyday when possible. I don't know any other site that gives more information, pictures, etc. of Sidecarcross. If anyone else wants to donate but finds it hard to mail a check, look for Rien at the races or find me at Rudersberg and I'll get your cash to Scott. Don Harte
Chris Helm
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Problems for sidecarcross.com

Post by Chris Helm »

I am well aware that sidecarcross.com costs money to run in the same way that almost anything involved in sidecar motocross costs a lot of money.
One thing I have no idea about is exactly how much it does cost and knowing that answer is it feasible to force people to pay a contribution before they can use the site. As someone said earlier asking people to volunteer money is a non starter.
At present there are 772 people who have registered for the forum. Is it a case of asking for €1 each or €10 or €100? - I have no idea.
If it was only a few euros each to keep our website going would people be prepared to chip in?

Rien / Scott can you please give an indication of cost please?

Chris
Frank
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

costs

Post by Frank »

First of all we all have to thank Scott and Rien for the great work!
But what shall we do with the costs?
First of all we should know how much is missing every year or every month to run the site.
Maybe every user should pay one time a year. But not only the registered ones. Everyone who wants to have the information.
Also every team which want to be linked with this site could pay some euros every year.
I would pay to keep up the site. But we all should pay little money. Not some people a lot of !!!
Refuse To Lose
Frank Hofmann
Mike Burns Jr

I want to help

Post by Mike Burns Jr »

Hello Scott & Rien,

I would like to help out in any way I can. This site is an invaluable asset to any sidecarcross fan or racer. I know of no other site World Wide that posts results faster for any sport. I will donate monies or ? Please let me know what I can do. If nothing else I will match Don Hartes contribution. Anyone who has relied on this site for results and news over the YEARS should have no problems contributing what they can.

Long Live SIDECARCROSS.COM

Mike Burns Jr
Z1
:twisted: :twisted:
EMLMTH1
mona
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

mona

Post by mona »

I agree with Frank to keep the site alive. I think we all don’t want to miss this quick and good information and all the other news which keeps the sidecar teams and fans together.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Ok ok...
I think everybody understands that it is not possible that only one or two guys pay the bill for this site. All right...
But I´m already missing the answer to Chris Helm´s question. How high are the costs? What should a user pay to be allowed using this site?
Furthermore I believe that it may not work with the plan that every user should pay. I could fancy that many user would no longer use this site. So that there are only a few people who need an international platform like these and they have to pay for it...? (Don´t get me wrong I also would pay a bit to run this site.)
You already started to close some special places in this forum and don´t believe that no one except "mona" recognized it. Should that show your consequences to this problem? In my oppinion it will only accelerate the process that users will search for another platform - perhaps even more national - where I think some smaller teams aren´t scared to do a topic, too.
As I said : Don´t get me wrong...
I also like this site and enjoy the perfect work of you
and last but not least I want to thank you for this!!!
mona
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by mona »

I also do not believe that no one except me missed the Germany forum. I first also supposed you did some work on the site or there are any problems. But it’s a great pitty just “ourâ€
Dave Tye
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Fees for sidecarcross.com

Post by Dave Tye »

I think a small fee for the use of the site is not a problem for most people, the site has proved over that past several years that it is a reliable and consistant platform for all information regarding sidecar cross. Without it or a similar site I think the sport would suffer as people would find it harder to keep up with date changes and general information. As the others above me have stated we really need to know approximate figures, a few dollars/euros/pounds etc. charge every year is one thing but larger amounts may well result in a reduced useage which defeats the idea of the site. Alternatively a 1 euro a month charge may work as it is not hitting people for a large amount all at once?
What do other people think about this?
Regards
Dave
mona
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Comeback of „Forum Germany“

Post by mona »

Hi Scott & Rien,
Thanks a lot for your prompt reaction!!!
Regards
Mona
:roll:
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Es sollte ein Konto eröffnet werden auf das dann jeder einzahlen kann soviel er kann oder möchte. Ich habe von einigen gehört, dass sie dazu gerne bereit wären.

Liebe Grüsse
Brigitte
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I'm working on calculating the expenses for running the site. Rien has already sent his list of expenses to me. At the moment, we have almost 800 people in our member list. Probably half of those people are not regular visitors to this site. But there are many visitors who never registered. That will probably change since, as of yesterday, you can not view all the forums unless you are registered and logged in. If we have 200 people who make a donation, I think around 10 euros (or dollars) from each might cover our costs for a year. And for those of you who really get a lot out of the site, and want to donate more, we would sure appreciate it. That seems very reasonable to me. Less than one euro per month! What do you all think?
- Would PayPal work for YOU as a way of making a donation with your credit card?
- What should we do when there are only 20 people who make a donation? I’m sure you all don’t think this will happen, but truthfully I believe this is exactly what will happen!
- Should we make it a voluntary "donation", or a mandatory payment before you are allowed to view the site? Chris, I understand your concern about a voluntary system, but I have an even worse feeling about a mandatory system.

The expenses above do not cover the TIME that we spend, or Rien's travel expenses. It's only for direct Internet and computer related costs that are required to keep the web site going. We both still love the sport as you all do, so we are willing to put a lot into it without much payback.

There are several other issues I would like to bring up. Maybe some people can comment on these:

1) Why are the manufacturers and related businesses not interested in advertising on this site, or helping in some way? They make money off this sport, but don't care about this web site? If this web site was closed, it would hurt the whole sport. Siep, I saw you visiting just yesterday, but you have nothing to say? I do have to give some credit to Siep who posts a few messages a year. Where are all the others?

2) There seems to be only a small number of people who make posts on a regular basis. Is there something about the web site or the forum that discourages people from posting questions or interesting information? I'm half a world away from the heart of the sport, and not well connected to the European way of doing things, so I need a little help understanding this.

3) The German forum is back online because several people showed that they care about it by posting their opinions. The England forum is looking good because there is always good activity there, and today the FIRST person outside the USA has donated to my Hog Wild Racing venture (thank you “always in motionâ€
Toni

Post by Toni »

Hi,

I just wanted to say that alot of people I know, me included, really appreciated the web site and the information and speed of the results that are posted. I very rarely put a post on but this is because all the information I need is always there. I think this should be seen as a compliment and not that people don't appreciate or use it properly.

As someone else has already said, I try and look at this site at least once a day and hope that this site continues for a long time.

I would be willing to pay a yearly fee for the information I get off it and PAYPAL would be fine.

Thanks for all your hard work. From someone who works with computers, I know that people only make a noise about something when it doesn't work. We all appreciate how much time, money and effort you put in.

Toni