Brakes

Questions and answers about mechanical things, sidecar construction, riding techniques, etc.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

harrison0100

Brakes

Post by harrison0100 »

Hi, problems... my front brake isnt very good! Caliper is brembo and in good condition, and pads are sbs sinter 671si (half worn)... master cylinder is a 13mm brembo and basically on corner entry i am having to squeeze very hard! More than i have on other outfits and i just wondered whether im using the wrong size master cylinder? I want to brake later but as my arm pumps up im have to brake early... Thanks for any help given
ian.uk
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Re: Brakes

Post by ian.uk »

This is my personal opinion - I have never had any success with Brembo brakes, always felt soft and too much movement at lever (and yes, they were bled out correctly). Try a Nissin master cylinder first and if that does'nt fix it get a Nssin caliper too. It's what all the JAP factories run on their bikes - they work.

I use Blackrock Intermediate rear tyres on Jo's outfit. Get two meetings out of them; not bad value. Fronts aren't too hot on a sidecar; tend to use MAXXIS there.
I was wrong all last season, and, according to my e'mails I'm wrong this season. Still, while it is my fault no one else is getting the blame.
harrison0100

Post by harrison0100 »

Thanks Ian! The brake lever feels good but just nothing happens... :(
Will look into a nissen caliper then! I think it might be to do with the size of the master cylinder, but not too sure...

Ive heard something worrying about the blackrock rears and its Almost put me off, but still looking around :-) thanks for you help!
Harry
Frank
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Frank »

harrison0100 wrote:Thanks Ian! The brake lever feels good but just nothing happens... :(
Will look into a nissen caliper then! I think it might be to do with the size of the master cylinder, but not too sure...

Ive heard something worrying about the blackrock rears and its Almost put me off, but still looking around :-) thanks for you help!
Harry
Hello Harry,
I would also suggest a Nissin brake. Tn my opinion they work much better.
I have a new caliper left with cable if you need.
Frank
Refuse To Lose
Frank Hofmann
harrison0100

Post by harrison0100 »

In that case ill need to look at what size master cylinders people are using before i buy one! it seems a few people are/have been struggling with the brembos! Thanks Frank!!
Will be in touch,
Harry
Shane.Horton

Post by Shane.Horton »

If u have a very hard leaver but no brakes its likely ur master cylinder is to big in comparison with ur caliper. Its a bit like gear ratios. The smaller the master the more pressure at the caliper, but less movement. So if the master is to small u wont get any brakes coz the pads wont close up enough, to big and ur doing hand crunches with a lump of oak. Spending money wont always fix the problem.
harrison0100

Post by harrison0100 »

Thanks shane thats what i would like to establish! Because the lever itself feels perfect, doesnt come all the way to the bar and isnt rock solid either... Feels spot on and its a brembo 13mm down to a twin pot brembo caliper with sintered sbs pads... Just need somebody to ride it and feel it, maybe the problem is in my hand i dont know but ive ridden 2 other much heavier bikes on which the front brake is imense and thats what i want on my bike :( will have have to spy on peoples front brakes at rusper
harrison0100

Post by harrison0100 »

Recently snapped my carrier practising so if anyone has a complete brake set up, or just a caliper and carrier, now is the time for me to buy one let me know guys
Harry 07805075952