News about sidecars competing in the Dakar Rally and other enduro related items

Moderator: Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hog Wild - Entry accepted

Post by Scott »

YaaaaaHoooooooooo!

This "Long Road to Dakar" began for me in July of 2000. We were at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb going for a win against a tough sidecar team from Sweden. In practice we were struggling to keep up with them. We just didn't have the horsepower compared to their GSXR 1100 powered rig, and our chassis was not well suited for that kind of race. A quarter of the way up the mountain in the race, just behind the Swedes, our Sportster powered rig blew up. We had given everything we had, and it still was not enough for a win. While sitting on the side of the course watching all the other competitors blast by, my thoughts drifted towards building a new sidecar that could beat the hot Swedish team at Pikes Peak. In the weeks that followed I began to see that my other dream, competing in the Dakar Rally, could be fulfilled by the same very custom built sidecar. It took a year but we completed the new rig just in time for Pikes Peak 2001. We fulfilled the first half of my dream by beating the Swedish team, and setting a new record time for a sidecar at Pikes Peak. We repeated in 2003 with V-Rod power. Now five years after starting this project, after many changes to the sidecar, many "bumps in the road", years of testing, and picking up a new partner, we are on track to fulfill the second half of this dream. The just received letter below means we are one step closer, and it’s got me totally psyched. I can't wait for the December 31 start date!!!

Arno

Post by Arno »

Congratulations Scott!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

It is good to see someone make his dream come true!! Not many people have the guts to do that.
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Congratulations to Scott & Duane

Post by chris m. johnson »

YAHOOOOOOO - Congratulations to both Scott & Duane,

Through all of the different quirks and personalities present with our sidecar racing family - WE ALL wish you two the best of sucess of safety and adventure for the most awsome physical, mental and enduring challenge that only can be amagined by the participants.

Now the hard part is about to begin - TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN go to the gym three-four nights a week, run ten miles three times a week and ride at least once a week (even if it is on another rig) and put yourself on a good nurishing diet (Scott better follow Duanes lead in training). - AND DONT STOP UNTIL YOU GUYS GET ON THE PLANE TO BARCELONA.

NOW GO MAKE us ALL PROUD with a successful finish / CHEERs, Chris
TEAM SOLTRON
Chris Johnson, Jack, Randy, Brian, Kylie, Paul (Califiornia GP, DESERT, MX - #Z1) Soltron, EventPhoto, Marks Performance Products.
chris long

dakar dream

Post by chris long »

congrat,s scott go for it and be safe regards chris long & all the sidecarcross riders & passengers in the uk
Pascal
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Yessss!

Post by Pascal »

Great! Congrats from Switzerland! :-D

Best wishes

Pascal, Silvia & Team

SIDECAR-CROSS-TEAM
P.Pelladoni M.Maier
Urs Kaiser

Answer from Swisssidecardakar-Team

Post by Urs Kaiser »

Congratulations from the Swiss-Sidecardakar-Team too!

See you in Lisboa!

It'll be a great thing to see at least 2 sidecars besides them boring KTMs and cars :lol: