Hog Wild - Vehicle licensing problems

News about sidecars competing in the Dakar Rally and other enduro related items

Moderator: Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hog Wild - Vehicle licensing problems

Post by Scott »

I've been working on getting the sidecar licensed for the street. All Dakar vehicles must be street licensed since they travel on some public roads and highways in the event. I expected some troubles since our sidecar is such an odd vehicle, and clearly not something the DMV has ever seen.

My first two visits to DMV went pretty well, since it was all paperwork, and they never saw the bike. On the third visit they were to inspect the bike to verify serial numbers and other stuff. The moment the inspector saw the sidecar, he said he couldn't inspect it, and I needed to take it to the Highway Patrol (CHP) for inspection. After a month of waiting for my appointment, I arrived with the sidecar. The CHP inspecting officer was a no-show and I had to reschedule. Another month of waiting, and an officer showed up this time. He took one look at my declared value ($5600), and said I had a problem! I explained the motor was free from the factory and I only paid for shipping ($250), and showed him receipts for the frame and wheels. He was still not satisfied, and said I needed ALL the receipts for EVERY NUT AND BOLT on the bike. I said no problem, I'll collect all that (not really) and up the value accordingly. I also explained what the purpose of the bike was (Dakar), and asked if he was familiar with off-road racing, or the Dakar. He said he has “toysâ€
Thorina

Post by Thorina »

:-D
Last edited by Thorina on Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Harte

Post by Don Harte »

Scott
I got my old wasp registered for the street about 10 years ago and never even had to take it to CHP or DMV. I just went to DMV and registered a motorcycle. The Honda shop verified the lights etc. and filled out the paperwork I needed. Good Luck. As far as a seat, I just have the passenger sit sidesaddle on the rear fender when on the street.
Thorina

Post by Thorina »

:-D
Last edited by Thorina on Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike

Post by mike »

i hope so for scott because of all the time and money and blood sweat and maybe tears 8-) i hope for him it will pay off and not to fail by an mistake made by h-d , i hope that h-d get's a green light for you scott whe need more sidecar action to show to the world greetz mike
http://spaces.msn.com/members/Mad-Monk-Animal/ for photo's that i've taken with my cellphone(gsm)
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I just got off the phone with Harley-Davidson. They are going to provide the "ok" to the CHP inspector. But there's a hitch. I have to write a letter to H-D declaring that after Dakar I will not use the bike on the street. That will get me through this immediate problem. And since I really have no intension of riding this thing on the street around here, it's not a problem.
mike

Post by mike »

strike , housten we have a go :lol: 8-)
http://spaces.msn.com/members/Mad-Monk-Animal/ for photo's that i've taken with my cellphone(gsm)
Pascal
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Great!

Post by Pascal »

Scott wrote: That will get me through this immediate problem.
It's nice to hear that! Go on, Scott!