Sandy and Ruedi are back in Switzerland

News about sidecars competing in the Dakar Rally and other enduro related items

Moderator: Scott

Urs Kaiser

Sandy and Ruedi are back in Switzerland

Post by Urs Kaiser »

Hello friends

Since yesterday, Ruedi and Sandy are back in Switzerland. In short, they had technical problems during the 5th track and couldn't repair them in the short time they had up to the start for the 6th track, so they decided to give up and not risk a heavy accident.

Here my description of the damages in German, I wrote in a big Swiss Biker-Forum. I don't have the capability to write about special technical terms in English, sorry. Maybe there is someone who can do it for me.

See you

Seit gestern sind Ruedi Howald und Sandy Lanaro wieder in der Schweiz. Heute Abend habe ich Ruedi getroffen.
Neben vielen spannenden und auch lustigen Erlebnissen nun hier kurz, was zum Ausfall des schweizerischen Teams geführt hat.
Auf der letzten (5.) Etappe, die sie fertig gefahren sind, hatten sie schwere, technische Probleme.
Aufgrund der verschobenen Kettenführung, scherte sich die Kette ab. Vermutlich infolge der darauf folgenden Gewalt auf das Gespann, scherten Schrauben der Zugstange (die Stange schräg, quer vom Motorrad durch den Seitenwagen) ab; diese löste sich und behinderte gar das Schalten. Ebenso litt die Motorenaufhängung. Zuviel Zeit verging bei der Notreparatur. Spät kamen sie daraufhin am Ziel an (was wir auch schon wissen). Es war nicht mehr möglich, das Gespann in dieser kurzen Zeit ohne entspechenden Support in sicherheitstechnisch vernüftigem Rahmen zu reparieren, sodass es Ruedi und Sandy nicht mehr für sich verantworten konnten, weiter zu fahren.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Urs,

I was very sad to hear that Ruedi and Sandy were out of the race. It was a great pleasure to finally meet them in Lisbon. I found them to be very friendly and nice guys. Once the race started I only had a chance to see them a few times, and for very short periods. They continued in the race FAR beyond our end. I was very impressed that they made it as far as they did. Some of those days were VERY difficult! I sure hope they can find the support to return to Dakar in 2007!

Best regards,

Scott