Swiss-Sidecardakar-Team, Why They Had to Give Up

News about sidecars competing in the Dakar Rally and other enduro related items

Moderator: Scott

Urs Kaiser

Swiss-Sidecardakar-Team, Why They Had to Give Up

Post by Urs Kaiser »

Hallo Friends

Last Sunday I talked whith Sandy Lanaro and Ruedi Howald about their experiences and the reasons, why they had to give up the rally after the 5th etappe. Here's the report, and, I'm sorry, once again, in German, because I don't have the knowledge or the special dictionnaries to translate the special terminology. Maybe our Swiss collegue could translate it, as he did the last time (Scott, please ask him.)
Besides, the sidecar isn't in Switzerland yet, but new plans were already made.
Best regards
Urs

Am 31.12.05 war es wieder soweit. Das Frauenfelder Team Lanaro/Howald machte sich zum zweiten Mal auf den Weg, das Abenteuer Dakar zu bestreiten. Mit einem neu überarbeiteten HU-Aprilia-Gespann gehörten sie mit zwei weiteren Gespanne-Teams (HD, Ural) wiederum zu den „Exoten“ der Rallye.
Bei den ersten beiden Etappen in Portugal waren Dank der grossen Zuschauerzahl die Fähigkeiten im Navigieren nicht immer gefragt, einfach nur der Menschenmenge entlang. Dafür war das Gelände derart verschlammt, dass die Sponsorenwerbung an Fahrzeug und Bekleidung ziemlich schnell nicht mehr lesbar war.
Die wahre Herausforderung begann jedoch in der Sand- und Geröllwüste der nächsten Etappen in Marokko. In der vierten Etappe nach Er Rachidida gab es einen ersten Zwischenfall, der vermutlich weitere Schäden am Gespann nach sich zog. Wegen eines grossen Steinbrockens verschob es die Kettenführung und die Kette lief ab. Bei der Reparatur stellte das Team fest, dass auch die Zugstange im Seitenwagen durchgebrochen war. Die fünfte und leider letzte Etappe nach Tan Tan konnte dennoch in Angriff genommen werden. In voller Fahrt bemerkte der Fahrer Sandy Lanaro, dass er das Schaltpedal nicht mehr betätigen konnte. Ein Querbolzen der Motorenaufhängung hatte sich gelöst und wanderte unter das Pedal. Ein Reparaturstopp war wieder nötig. So ging es leider die ganze Etappe hindurch weiter. Insgesamt sechs Notstopps waren nötig. Ein gelöstes Schwingenlager, eine abvibrierte Kühlung, eine erneut gebrochene Zugstange (Sollbruchstelle; nach Ruedi) , die gebrochene Haltestange für den Beifahrer (Turnstange; nach Ruedi) und weitere Teile, die immer wieder nachgezogen und/oder fixiert werden mussten, waren Gründe für wiederkehrende Zeitverzögerungen. Ebenso mussten auch zwei Erholungspausen gemacht werden, um nicht der Übermüdung zum Opfer zu fallen. Schliesslich wirkten sich diese Reparaturen derart aus, dass die beiden übernächtigten Fahrer erst um 2.15 Uhr im Ziel ankamen, als sich die Solo-Motorradfahrer gerade wieder bereit für den Start um 2.45 Uhr in die nächste Etappe machten.
Die Zeit, das Gespann derart zu reparieren, dass eine Weiterfahrt verantwortbar gewesen wäre, fehlte, sodass Sandy und Ruedi beschlossen, die Rallye an diesem Punkt zu beenden.
Sandy und Ruedi haben den Traum Dakar nicht aufgegeben und es wird sich im Verlauf der nächsten zwei Jahre zeigen, wie sie ihr Projekt weiter verfolgen.
Ein grosser Dank gebührt allen Sponsoren und Freunden, die das schweizerische Sidecardakar-Team finanziell, materiell, mit Rat und Tat unterstützt und interessiert begleitet haben.
Pascal
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Translation...

Post by Pascal »

Hallo Urs / Hi all

Thanks for the story. At the Moment I don't have the time for making the translation, Sorry...! :-(

But I hope, I can deliver it in a few days. Thanks for your understanding (by the way... the last translation was not my work! :-) ). So... if anyone else want to translate... don't hesitate...
Urs Kaiser

Translation, Swissdakarteam

Post by Urs Kaiser »

Here's my text, translated by L. Heller.

Rallye: Lissabon-Dakar 2006

There the date came again, December 31, 2005. The team of Frauenfeld Lanaro/Howald
started the way into the adventure Dakar for the second time. With a freshly
serviced HU-Aprilia sidecar, they were again the exotics of the rallye together
with two other sidecar teams (HD and Ural).

During the first two stages in Portugal, the pilot's navigation skills were
not yet used thanks to the big number of spectators which allowed to just
cruise alongside the crowd. But, the terrain was so silty that the ads of
sponsors on vehicle and closing weren't legible anymore after a short time.

However, the real challenge started at the next stages in the sand and boulder
desert in Maroc. After Er Rachidida, at the fourth stage, there happened
a first incident which probably was the cause for further damages on the
sidecar. Because of a stony rock the chain guidance shifted and the chain
drifted off. While repairing, the team concluded that also the pull rod on
the sidecar was broken. Nevertheless, the fifth and unfortunately last stage
to Tan Tan could still be faced. During full speed the driver Sandy noticed,
that he couldn't actuate the clutch pedal. A crossbar of the engine suspension
had broken loose and came to a halt below the pedal. Again, a repair stop
was necessary. That's the way it unfortunately continued throughout this
stage. A total of six emergency stops was necessary. A broken guide bearing,
a cooling which came off due to vibration
, a broken pull rod again (should-break-place, according
to Ruedi), a broken holding bar for the co-driver (the gym bar, according
to Ruedi) and more parts which had to be amended or fixed again and again.
All of this caused constantly recurring time delays.

Two rest periods were an absolute must in order not to be victims of fatigue.
Finally, the tired out team only arrived at their goal at 02.15 a.m. This
was the time when the solo bike riders just got ready to start at 02.45 a.m.
for their next stage.

The time to fix the sidecar in such a way that a continuation of the journey
could be accounted for, was missing. Therefore, Sandy and Ruedi decided to
end the rallye at this point.

Sandy and Ruedi have not given up the dream Dakar. It will show in the course
of the next two years, how they continue their project. A big "Thank You"
goes to all sponsors and friends who have supported the Swiss sidecar-Dakar-team
financially, physically, with help and advice.
Pascal
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Thanks!

Post by Pascal »

Hi Urs! Thank you for the translation! Sorry, I didn't have the time for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sali Urs! Merci für das Organisieren der Übersetzung, ich hatte leider keine Zeit dafür!