Letter to the FIM (sended 30-04-2004)

About off-road sidecars, racing and riding. Go here ONLY if you don't find an appropriate category below.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

Rien.nl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Letter to the FIM (sended 30-04-2004)

Post by Rien.nl »

Some weeks ago i wrote a letter to the FIM because i'm concerned whats happening at the races for the Worldchampionship Sidecarcross.
The complete text :

To: Wolfgang Srb, FIM President motocross commission
Dirk de Neve, FIM Coordinator motocross commission

The Netherlands

Sint Anthonis, 30 April 2004.
About: some notes regarding the World Championship Sidecarcross.

Gentleman,

I’m writing you this letter because something in my heart tells me to do this.

I write this not only as a concerned visitor of all Sidecarcross races for the world championship, but also as a person involved indirect with a team and member of the press.

What happened:
At the German round in Aufenau from 24 &25 April 2004, we arrived at the secretary on Friday at about 21.00 hrs. After becoming our papers and entrance cards we followed our way to the paddock. It was dark and the area for the riders of the world championship was full was told at the secretary. When we asked the paddock officer where to park our race truck he walked with us and found a place where to park our race truck.

Other teams nearby weren’t happy, but it was the decision of the paddock officer.
Also a FIM member was witness of this happening.
In the morning the 2nd chairman contacted the team and told us to immediately remove this place because it wasn’t allowed to park the race truck on that specific place. We told him that the paddock officer placed us here, but he doesn’t accepted it and treated is with disqualification. When we ask where to park our race truck, there was no willing to help us and there was no free place anymore. After more than 1 hour of discussions and asking where to park, the 2nd chairman assigned us a place to park the race truck. Everything packed to move to the other place, the 1st chairman comes involved and he forbid us to move from the place to the new place.
He said the will contact the 2nd chairman. After another half hour the 2nd chairman comes up to the paddock and he is heated and angry that we didn’t move and said he will disqualify us! But the 1st chairman forbid us to move and promised us to give a confirmation in a half hour. Emotions at the team comes more and more and the situation is going bad. It’s almost 1 hour for the first practice and no-one is willing to help us. If I spoke twice about this situation with the jury President Mr. Arnost Zemen, he told me that he can’t help, it is a organisers problem. I try to get in contact to the 1st and 2nd chairman, but the 1st chairman went home for lunch and the 2nd chairman was not open-minded for any comment or any suggestion.
Neither there wasn’t any reaction from the 1st chairman, and he didn’t contact the 2nd chairman. Also the paddock officer was invisible, nobody couldn’t find him.
On our own decision we find another place to park the race truck, asking some other teams to move some cars, campers and trailers, so there becomes a little space for parking our race truck.
Only 10 minutes before the start of the practice we were able to have everything in control. But the team was very stressed, and emotions were very high.
What i mentioned to say is that this isn’t the way to treat people ! ! Especially people who come for a world championship event as a participator. Those teams aren’t jokers or marionettes. They all are serious sportsmen have lots of fun in their disciplines, but on treating like this, the fun is goes fast.
But my biggest surprise is when I readed the report of the 1st jury meeting.
The first report a chapter with 9 rules of text about the situation of the paddock and the specific problem regarding the parking problems in the paddock, but when I see a second report of the 1st jury meeting, this chapter is almost complete disappeared. Why? How is it possible that the jury report is changed and now it looks like if there where no problems. This can NOT be true. I’m happy that I have both copies of that jury meeting so now I can proof that the jury and organisers do anything to keep this silent.
Also the many campers, caravan’s and cars from others then participants (supporters, catering, etc. etc.) in the paddock makes it that this kind of problem will happen. Like the situation is now I can go to the race office and say that I’m “Mr. John Doeâ€
johanjeppsson

My thoughts

Post by johanjeppsson »

Well. What can one say? I wasn't there, I didn't see all the situations myself.

My inititial thoughts when I read the answer, was:

"Why do you email us? We don't care what you think anyway."

We are insignificant when it comes to the Big Bosses and the big teams.

Important to me and what we usually discuss in the team is:
1 The transponder issue is important though and SHOULD be mandatory. At this level, the stakes are too high to allow any suspicion of "help" from the locals towards the local teams.

2 Qualification traditions
The clock should start when the first team crosses the STARTLINE, not when entering the track. With the current tradition of driving around the track slow and then having to wait in line, it usually takes 5-8 minutes before all teams have startet their respective first lap.
That is unacceptable!

Keep going at them Rien.

/Johan

July 2nd, edit:
My dad asked me tonight why I was being rude towards Rien, about the incident in the paddock.

I wasn't. I wasn't there and didn't see how and where they parked/what place they were given by the official. Johanna and Conny were there, but they didn't know about it until they read it here.

BUT, I don't doubt for a second that it happened as mentioned above. Too strict, too "whatever" or in this case, two officials that doesn't cooperate or help, is how most paddocks are governed.

BTW, if only two (2) vehicles/team were allowed to enter, problems in small paddocks would probably disappear. Most teams have just one truck anyway, so very few would be affected.
Last edited by johanjeppsson on Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Rien,

I'm with Johan. It's obvious the FIM doesn't care what YOU think. When Willemsen and Sergis sign your letters, then maybe the FIM will care. Maybe you can ask ALL the GP teams to sign your next letter? If you don't get some of the top 10 teams behind you in this quest, the top 10 team will have nobody to race against. And if they don't care enough to help you, then they don't deserve your help.

Come on GP teams and managers, where are your comments on these important issues?
Deb

Post by Deb »

Rien,
first of all I would like to say how great it is that you have done all this (and pherhaps more) to improve situations on the races.
It is true that some organisers do not understand (or want to understand) the people who are really involved in professional sidecar cross, or the rules for that matter.
Maybe Scott is right, maybe the world champion can make a difference, although that would make the whole situation even more sad, because
everybody is important in this sport.

I hope you can make a difference with all the afford you're making.
Good luck!

Debby ;-)
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

NOW YOU CAN SEE THAT IF YOU WANT SOMETHING FROM AN ORGANISATION LIKE FIM, YOU BUMP INTO A BIG WALL . BEING POPULAR IS THE MAIN ISSUE FOR THE MOST OF THEM. THANKS RIEN FOR WRITING THIS LETTER AND TRY TO CREATE AN OPENING IN THE DISCUSSION. AND FOR TRANSPONDERS;WHY IS IT THE ORGANISATION OF THE G.P., THE FIM CAN BUY THEM AND RENT THEM TO THE TEAM, JUST LIKE THE KNMV DOES.