Help Wanted!

Fun talk

Moderators: Chris Helm, Dave Tye

R-JET

Help Wanted!

Post by R-JET »

Does anybody know how to identify a rolling chassis, I'm 99% sure its an EML, where do I look for a chassis number. Also how do I identify year or type of engine it was made for? Top of front forks have triple clamps. :-? :-?
Dave Tye
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Re: Help Wanted!

Post by Dave Tye »

Good afternoon...

Frame numbers are located on the head stock normally, although if the frame has been powder coated a few times they may not be visable.

How old a machine are we talking here? There are ways of telling approximate ages of EML by frame design which are pretty obvious i.e. Pre 97 bikes have a single top tobe under the tank, whilst later bikes have twin top tubes with the tank sitting between them.

Most later EMLs have the frame tube which runs across the sidecar from behind the drivers seat passing under the exhaust whilst VMCs tend to pass over the top of the exhaust.

Also, both EML and VMC chasis did not come with triple clamps as standard, but with one piece forks that combine yokes and fork legs as far as I am aware.

As far as engines go, modern frames will normally house most engines (although modern 4 strokes don't always fit due to the hight of the barrel). All that was changed normally was the engine plates to suit the engine fitted and the swing arm if the chain drive were on the other side i.e. Zabel versus Honda. Other mods such as air box etc are made depending on the setup needed.

Hope that helps a bit

Dave