chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

POSTING

Post by chris m. johnson »

POSTED on another Webpage:

Hello Richard,

LAUNDRY ISSUES:
I would like to clarify something right here and now. You seem to believe that the webmaster on the other sidecar website is in the backround of MY postings. That is the farthest thing from the truth – I post all of my own, when I want with my own honest feelings and statements. I surely do not want to dig out dirty, ancient laundry – I keep a very clean laundry basket, but there are others who don’t. What is with the threats, I have not done anything to you or lance that warrants these comments, and I keep telling you so but believe what you may believe, in my heart I know the true story and you are both wrong.

When a posting is marred, modified with a single word change from someone else, it changes feelings and other issues. I apologized for and explained that, and so did the perpetrator, but come on Sir, give me a break and please stop with these exaggerated issues and statements ( i didnt say lies).

NOW ON TO RACING ISSUES:
Here is a trivia question:
Who was the very first AMA Grand National Champion and what form of racing did he compete in? (hint – it wasn’t mainly motocross) and he still races today.

There are many fine forms of racing – MX, GP, Enduro, TT, ½ mile & the Mile flat track, short track, speedway and road racing but not one form of these listed events are better than the other – IT IS JUST A MATTER OF PREFERENCE – but whether sidecar racing is MX or GP, speedway or TT, or Pikes Peak or road racing, we are all sidecar brothers (and sisters) and splitting, breaking up and separating any form away from sidecar racing just because that is what you like best is silly.

I love to race sidecars – I have raced offroad sidecars for many years now (both GP & MX), have practiced both driving and as a passenger in speedway and slid into corners at high speed on TT tracks. I have yet to try Pikes Peak and road racing (I would love to try) and attempt a very long desert race just to say I did it. I am still young enough to do all of these and for me just to do two 10-15 minute motos after a fifteen hour drive one way even though I love MX, I don’t feel a seven race MX series is enough racing for my year just to include the AMA Western Sidecar National Championship as an exclusive.

Al has done a great job with the series and I am hoping to be able to attend more this year. The races I did this past year were a blast with some interesting moments, but like I was saying in my last posting, by far the best, closest and exciting racing this year was at the GPR / AMA District 37, Big Six GP Series on the local basis, you all missed out on the hour long GP motos.

If you would like to race more than seven races, then maybe you should try some of these other possibilities and fill your slate and help to expose our sport even more. Good luck to all – NOW lets get on with a great up and coming 2005 GP & MX racing season, it can only be as good as we allow it as Ambassadors of Sidecar racing.

Richard – Thanks for the webpage to post these topics above.
CIAO – Chris
cc- _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Racing.Com

Thank you Scott for the use of your Website to post these statements above.
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

Chris J.

If So-Cal wasn't 2000+ miles away from me and the 5 other sidecar hopefuls in the Midwest, we'd love to come and try out the GPs, believe me. I guess its a similar "value" thing to hare scrambling vs MX with solo bikes - you sure get your money's worth in a hare scramble and are absolutely buggered by the time its over (in a good way!).

Good luck in both series in 2005,

See ya next year,
Chris M.[/quote]
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

Oh, I forgot to answer:
Who was the very first AMA Grand National Champion and what form of racing did he compete in? (hint – it wasn’t mainly motocross) and he still races today.
I think that was Chet Dykgraaf, a good old Midwest guy. It would've been mainly dirt track racing...on a nice English bike...
Al Wenzel
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Posting

Post by Al Wenzel »

I thought Chet was an "Indian" guy? Wasn't he part of the Indian Team in the late forties, early fifties?

Indian was certainly a "player" in those days...

Al,
Sidecar MX is the ultimate Team Sport...
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

Chet won his '46 title on a Norton. But as I have been informed by someone more knowledgeable, he is not in fact the first Grand National Champ - his title back in the fourties was worded different. So the quiz is still open...
Thorina

Post by Thorina »

:-D
Last edited by Thorina on Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

My guess on Dykgraaf is backed up by this from the AMA site:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/features/Dykgraaf.html
Thorina

Post by Thorina »

Last edited by Thorina on Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

No doubt somebody spiked the punch. Maybe its like that every day at the AMA?
Thorina

Post by Thorina »

Last edited by Thorina on Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

(Sorry, Scott - this all totally unrelated to sidecars, but what can ya do)

from the amaproracing.com site:

[quote]In 1954, the AMA announced the establishment of a Grand National Championship Series consisting of 18 points-paying races. While the AMA Grand National Championship format was predominantly made up of flat track events, a number of road race nationals were included to show the versatility of machines and riders. As the sport grew and machinery became more specialized, the AMA recognized the need to separate these two disciplines. In 1986, flat track and road racing became two distinct AMA Championship Series.quote]

so..... (yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands) .... this is how it shook out that year:
1954 Grand National Standings
Pos. Name/ Hometown Points
1 Joe Leonard, San Jose, CA 76
2 Paul Goldsmith, St. Clair Shores, MI 39
3 Charles West, San Jose, CA 31
4 Dick Klamfoth, Groveport, OH 23
5 Bobby Hill, Columbus, OH 21

And Joe was indeed head and shoulders above everyone that year - he won Springfield, Peoria (twice), Indy, Hammond IN, Laconia and Wilmot WI

He also raced Indy Cars.... won the USAC 2 years... so, naturally, in his transition from 2 wheels to 4 wheels, he must have had to do a little sidecar time too, yes?
Thorina

Post by Thorina »

bsachris

Post by bsachris »

Probably, while racing the Indy Car, he reverted back to his beloved sidecar days by hopping just one wheel off the ground here and there.

His 2 wheeled successes were aboard Harley-Davidsons

Here's some info:
http://home.ama-cycle.org/forms/museum/ ... .asp?id=28

Sadly, there are no photos on that link of his sidedar expeditions, but I think its safe to say there were some... somewhere... sometime...
Thorina

Post by Thorina »

Al Wenzel
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

POSTING

Post by Al Wenzel »

Hmmm, perhaps a visit to Hollister is in order.....? 'Ole #98 would probably enjoy that....Plus, he's a hell of a nice guy.

Al,
Sidecar MX is the ultimate Team Sport...