AMA, AHRMA

Moderator: Scott

chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Desert Vipers / Adelanto GP resultzzzzzzzz

Post by chris m. johnson »

PERFECT DAY FOR A RACE.

Adelanto, CA, Sunday February 27 at 1:00pm - we saw another win by the team of Mark McDade & Bob Morgan on their EML/XR650 honda and smoked all of us effortlessly.

There were over 260 quads with five sidecars. I know for a fact that my team (Chris Johnson / Paul Stimson) passed at least 60-70 quads (probably close to 100) through the dust of the desert section (5 miles) and high speed dirt roads (2 miles), and the 1-3/4 mile long MX and 3/4 miles of asphalt pavement, it was pass-pass-asss-asss, OH I mean pass, pass so many quads it was like a blure......

Glen McLellan and the older brother of the BOOOOZZZEEE brothers John and Don Harte, Dave Hart rode as passenger on a EML/685 Zabel making thier debut and finishing in fourth out of five. Jim Pocaro and Rick Brown finished in fifth but had a great time on their triumph with the cheers of the close to 15,000-20,000 specators. Joaquin Suro and Scott McDade (racing the first time together) finished in third on their 500 EML/Honda and Paul Stimson and myself finished in second. Results below:

(1) Mark McDade / Bob Morgan - 650XR EML/Honda
Marks Performance Products, Geralds powdercoating
(2) Chris Johnson / Paul Stimson - 530 EML/Honda
Nationwide Cycle, Palmdale Honda, Soltron Fuel Additive & stabilizer, Marks Performance Products, Rally Chevrolet, AV KTM
(3) Joaquin Suro / Scott McDade - 500 EML/Honda
Marks Performance Products, Geralds powdercoating
(4) Glen (Skippy) McClellan / Dave Harte - 685 EML/ZABEL
Trans-One Transmission repair
(5) Jim Pocaro / Rick Brown - 750 Triumph

next race - Saturday February 5th @ 2:00pm at Glen Helen Raceway Park, San Bernardino / Prairie Dogs - second round of the Big Six GP series.

Cheers and see you there = Chris
jack young
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

results adelanto

Post by jack young »

hi chris :lol: just been reading your report of the racing at adelanto,are you sure you have the crowd figures right :?: .we can't get anywhere near that for a solo gp never mind a sidecar gp :-( .i see you mention the booze brothers :-D a couple of us from england went to the des nations in rudersberg & unfortunately they bumped into us inthe beer tent :-D :-D .so we gave them a lesson in knocking back a glass or two :roll: if dave harte has a word with his brothers he should ask them if they remember the 2 geordie boys jack & mark 8-) keep up with the reports as i like to know what is happening in the sidecar world.

jack young
the geordie boys are on tour 8-) 8-)
watch those glasses .
sorry lads you'll pay for these i've got no euros left.Has anyone seen the brits ?
Al Wenzel
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

results adelanto

Post by Al Wenzel »

Hi Jack,

Well, the thing to keep in mind is that the Adelanto GP is much like the Elsinore GP in the famed motorcycle movie "On Any Sunday". It is run over a variety of terrain, all around the outskirts of the city, and there is no fee to enter as a spectator, so they probably do get almost 20,000 people watching around the course at different points.

Actually, there is no control over spectators at all, except by the local constables. If you become overly unruly, you can expect to take a ride in a police car, but for the most part it is just a big gathering of people who like racing bikes in the dirt. And who doesn't?

Of course, there are probably close to 2000 racers in various classes over the weekend of racing also.

Adelanto is a great time....and I'm sorry I missed it this year, but life get's in the way sometimes.

Cheers,

Al,
Sidecar MX is the ultimate Team Sport...
Don Harte

Europe

Post by Don Harte »

Yes Jack, you did give us a lesson on beer and we're continuing with that tradition here in the U.S. We'll make you proud. Say hello to Mark Ping Pong Don Harte
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

adelanto GP

Yes Jack, Dave Harte is one of the older Harte boys, but is more reserve than the younger Harte Representitives Don & John.

They did tell me about you guys (The geordie boys ) and you have quite the reputation yourselves (good job).

I believe there are several Yankees coming over for GP season this year (to watch), so be sure to look them up ( I believe John & Don and Mike Burns Jr. too).

About Adelanto, there were over 20,000 specators and 2,901 racer entries over a two day period. The same day (on Sunday) there was a local desert race happening with close to 600 racers / everyone must have been racing 'On This Only Sunday'. Grand Prixs here in the USA comprise of anywhere from a two mile MX, four-five mile offroad and some dirt road and asphalt over an hour period.

This past weekend (March 5-6) there was a GP (offroad race) in San Bernardino California with over 1500 race entries. We (sidecars) ran the 8-mile course for four laps over an hour period for a total of 32 miles (averaging 32 miles per hour over the entire course).

Good luck this year and keep reading up on postings on the message board, and thanks for your participation.

Cheers and take care - Chris M. Johnson
Last edited by chris m. johnson on Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

DON / WHERE ARE YOU ??

Hey Don,

When are you coming back out to race with us - miss you dude !!!

You could have some fun besides dive bombing delapidated desert dwelings with Lime bombs in your ultralight !!!

You can even just give a call if you get a chance (661)944-1152 or my cell at (661)917-5565.

Tell Pam and the kiddoes Chris & Adrian say hello - CHEERS !!
(and you too)