5th Round / Big Six GP Series / RACETOWN 395 Sept 18, 2005

AMA, AHRMA

Moderator: Scott

chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

5th Round / Big Six GP Series / RACETOWN 395 Sept 18, 2005

Post by chris m. johnson »

Seven Teams showed for this perfect raceday at Racetown 395 park in Adelanto, CA. The Last two GPs have seen the Cycle Products West sponsored EML/ZABEL team of Victor Palfreyman/Perry Mellilo again take charge from beginning to end with this first annual VIKINGS GP being no exception.

Hot on the chase behind Palfreyman/Mellilo into the first turn running in second was the rookie EML/KAW team of Morgan Pierce & Janette Player (Janette just returning from two MX Nationals in Denver & Albuquerque last week), eventually being overcome by the Soltron/Nationwide Cycle/Rally Chevrolet EML/HON of Chris Johnson/Paul Stimson, Verdugo Systems Mike Burns JR/Matt Sidoti on a 700 EML/ZABEL, and the Marks Performance Products/XRs Only/Progressive Suspension EML/XR of Mark McDade/Bob Morgan with the other teams following into position (Sura/S.McDade, McClellan/Schelest).

After passing Pierce/Player and Johnson/Stimson, McDade/Morgan soon set their sights on Palfreyman/Mellilo, but just could not reel them in on the eight and a half mile offroad/mx course that was not designed for the mild or meak with several good miles of three foot whoopdidoos. Johnson/Stimson after passing Burns/Sidoti could see McDade/Morgan just ahead, but after lap three couldnt make up the time to catch them and had to settled out for third.

Joaquin Sura & Scott McDade (EML/HON) battled with Skippy McClellan & Gene Schelest for fifth and held off the EML/ZABEL off after McClellan/Schelest pulled out the clutch cable after a passenger removal and tumble. Pierce/Player pulled off after on lap for problems unknown.
There were a total of 53 quads & sidecars, four separate start lines with the sidecars on the last row. All finishers went a total of 3 - 8 1/2 mile laps

OFFICIAL RESULTS:
1) Palfreyman/Mellilo - 700 EML/ZABEL (30th overall)
2) M.McDade/Morgan - 650 EML/XR (31st overall)
3) Johnson/Stimson - 530 EML/HON (34th overall)
4) Burns/Sidoti - 700 EML/ZABEL (37th overall)
5) Sura/S.McDade - 500 EML/HON (39th overall)
6) McClellan/Schelest - 685 EML/ZABEL (41st overall)
dnf) Pierce/Player - 540 EML/KAW

Next BIG SIX GP - VIEWFINDERS MC @ Ridgecrest, CA / Sunday October 2nd (sixth round) SEE YOU THERE for more fun than a moneys uncle !!
Chris
TEAM SOLTRON
Chris Johnson, Jack, Randy, Brian, Kylie, Paul (Califiornia GP, DESERT, MX - #Z1) Soltron, EventPhoto, Marks Performance Products.
Thorina

Re: 5th Round / Big Six GP Series / RACETOWN 395 Sept 18, 20

Post by Thorina »

:-D
Last edited by Thorina on Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

PLEASE

Post by chris m. johnson »

Janette,

I think your removal from the sport is very premature - what you have accomplished this past year is quite admirable. I dont know many first year guy racers that can hang on as a passenger in MX, GP and desert racing like you have / especially with your tenacity, perserverance and exuberance.

The weak link on your team was not you / dont stop !!!!
There are many potential drivers that will have the definition of sidecar team (meaning two, not one) as an understanding.

In our sport, there are three components that make up a good sidecar team:

1) good equipment
2) smart and smooth driver
3) passenger with brain removed, the endurance of a camel, the strength of a bull, the grace of a ballerina and the ballance of a cat.

You are on your way in the later so dont stop (especially the brain part) but we still love ya. NOW that is just the sidecar stuff but I wont talk about the other stuff here.

Take it easy on yourself / CHEERS, CJ
TEAM SOLTRON
Chris Johnson, Jack, Randy, Brian, Kylie, Paul (Califiornia GP, DESERT, MX - #Z1) Soltron, EventPhoto, Marks Performance Products.
Al Wenzel
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Teamwork

Post by Al Wenzel »

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure that I completely agree with all of your requirements for a good team.

1. Good equipment-Certainly
2. Smart & smooth driver- makes the job easier
3. Passenger with brain removed...?- Absolutley not!

I'm assuming you weren't totally serious when you posted that. After all, only someone with a brain can hope to have "...the endurance of a camel, the strength of a bull, the grace of a ballerina and the balance of a cat...".

Passengers are the unsung heroe's of Sidecar MX, world-wide. I know, because I tried to be one. I can't do it. I'm absolutely terrified of it. I tried to at Kernville one time. Bryan drove and I hung on for dear life. Bryan can do it, but I can't. And I have total respect for him, because I have an understanding of what that job is about and I know that I cannot do it!!! He makes it look easy.....but that's not to say that it is.

Janette makes it look easy too. She has a very good style when it comes to passengering and has learned a ton during this years season of racing. She is very effective as a passenger, and I would hate to see her turn away from the sport for whatever reason.

It's a Team Sport and you can only go forward with a Driver & Passenger who work together. It's the only Team-Sport in Motocross that there is!!!! That's what makes it special....

It's my favorite MX sport!!!!

Allen L. Wenzel
AMA-National Sidecar MX Coordinator
Sidecar MX is the ultimate Team Sport...