KTM 540 sxs engine seized

Questions and answers about mechanical things, sidecar construction, riding techniques, etc.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

Shane.Horton

KTM 540 sxs engine seized

Post by Shane.Horton »

After re building my 540 KTM i seized it up after just 45 mins. It was not overly hot and did not even go tight, it just sounded like there was no oil preshure, and as a pulled the cluth in it stopped and would not start again. i found it had started to leak oil from the clutch casing and the oil was only just on the glass, also it turns out i was running the wrong type of oil 10w 40 semi sin. i no these are major issues but could it realy have caused so much damage. :dontknow:
yz benny
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Re: KTM 540 sxs engine seized

Post by yz benny »

It sounds more like sum thing inside has let go poss big end the oil grade wont that bigger diff strip it and see wots gone and report
Shane.Horton

Re: KTM 540 sxs engine seized

Post by Shane.Horton »

After stipping down the top proprely and examining it, i could not find any initail problem. There was still plenty of oil under the piston and on all the bearings. checked we had plenty of oil coming from the jet in the bottom, also checked the play in the mains and the big end. There was no swaf in the oil or in any filters.The jetting is all good, so it the inpeller on the cam. When i assembled it the first time i never checked the clearance on the piston coz it was an old barrel i think this could have been a silly mistake. I didnt relly give it much running in prob bout 30mins stood still 15mins gentle running then went 4 a quick lap. i have checked all the clearances this time and got the right oil in it this time and so far she is running sweet. :sweat: