AMA District 37 2005 / Taft GP opener reminder

AMA, AHRMA

Moderator: Scott

chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

AMA District 37 2005 / Taft GP opener reminder

Post by chris m. johnson »

On Sunday February 6th, 2005 at 12:30, GP Race #12, the Infamous Dirt Diggers MC presents the 2005 GPR Big Six GP Series opener at the Honolula Hills Raceway in Taft, CA.

The Sidecars will be racing at the same time as the Quads in Race #12, not Race 11 as listed on the back side of the race application. I did speak with the Dirt Diggers and verified this issue and the race is scheduled to go off at 12:30 on Sunday. We are also discussing the possibility of the sidecar starting line-up being moved in front of the beginner & novice quads since there are limited areas to pass.

Honolulu Hills is located off of State Highway 119 on Airport Road just north of Highway 33.

From LA - take I-5 North to SH-166 to Maricopa, turn right onto SH-33 through Maricopa toward Taft/Shafter. Follow SH-33 for six miles and stay straight onto SH-119, veer to the right to Airport Road and follow signs to the DDMCGP.

From North of Bakersfield - I-5 south to SH-43 toward Taft/Maricopa, merge to SH-43. Go south on ENOS Lane (right) via exit 246 toward Taft/Maricopa for two miles, go right onto SH-119 for 16 miles, go right onto SH-33 then go right onto Airport Rd., follow signs to DDMCGP. Any questions, call (818) 367-4516 or (760) 377-3253 (Dirt Diggers).

No green/red sticker required, no sparky either but, AMA and District 37 membership is required along with a transponder. I am told this course ties a small MX section (1.5miles) with a six-seven mile off road section over rolling hills of south eastern Taft, moderate gearing required (simular to last year).

Hope to see a good turnout this year and the best of luck to all participants, CHEERs -
Chris M. Johnson / GP #Z-4, MX#5
Nationwide Sidecarcross Team
Palmdale Honda
Rally Chevrolet
Hackers RC
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

Chris -
how was the turnout at the Taft GP? I saw Thorina's jubilant (and gay) postings about the event on the D-37 site, and it sounded like the sidecars put on a great show.
All the best,
Chris
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

TAFT BIG SIX GP OPENER

Post by chris m. johnson »

Hello Chris and congratulations on yours and Als Wedding, too bad we all didnt know till after. I am sure like with many, we all wish you many,many years and a life of happiness as husband and wife.

Taft was a pretty good turnout, six teams showed but we were missing two main teams - Victor Palfreyman/Perry Melillo and Dave Krohn/Gary Cass / they didnt show for one reason or another. It was a great day/course/weather for a race on this close to eight miles long, one hour long & technical GP over the rolling grassy hills coupled with up and downhill off cambers to make it more interesting. This course was part of an old oilfield on 640 acres that is like no other racepark I have ever been to.

Off the start Paul and I (GP #4 - 530 EML/HON) were hot on the Tail of Mike Burns and Matt Sidoti (GP #1 - 633 EML/MTH) with Mark McDade and Bob Morgan (GP#2 - 680 EML/XR) were hot on ours for the first lap, then McDade/Morgan dropped back and settled into third until the middle of lap two of three while Burns/Sidoti pulled fifteen second ahead us.

Then it was the battle of the rookies between sudo Husband & wife team of Morgan Pierce (who one one of the National Hare & Hounds last year)
/Janette Player on a 500 KTM (GP#7) and Jeff Hares(CRC #2 in04) /Devon Rich (GP#8 - 500 EML/HON) and Joaquin SURO/Jimmy Golden ( GP #9 - 500 EML/HON) for the first half a lap until the clutch overheated on the Hares/Rich Honda and they stalled in a canyon and fouled a plug trying to restart.

The next two laps were fast and furious as Paul and I diced it with McDade/Morgan until the end of lap three at speed until passed by McDade/Morgan so at the finish, it was Burns/Sidoti, McDade/Morgan and Paul and myself within fifteen seconds of each other. Then SURO/Golden team passed Player/Pierce for the fourth position until the end of the lap where the offcamber and uphill and downhill canyons took their toll and SURO/Golden pulled off before the checkered flag and were noted as a DNF while Pierce/Player took the checkered for the fourth place finish, Hares/Rich were also noted as a DNF.

1). Burns/Sidoti - 633 EML/MTH
2). McDade/Morgan - 680 EML/Hon
3). Johnson/Stimson - 530 EML/Hon
4). Pierce/Player - 500 KTM
5). SURO/Golden - 500 EML/Hon (DNF)
6). Hares/Rich - 500 EML/Hon (DNF)
Last edited by chris m. johnson on Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorina

Post by Thorina »

:-D
Last edited by Thorina on Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

Thorina -
sounds like you had a blast, and no doubt learned as much and more than I did my first time out. Every time is a learning experience - whether its how to go faster, or how to project yourself safely off and away from the crashing rig, or how to prepare it better to avoid mechanical failure, or how to communicate with partner during the race.

My new rig is a big old Wasp/Yamaha with a black and yellow paint scheme - I plan on getting black and yellow striped jerseys and helmet skins for me and my monkey - so we can match (and look like real Wasps, even though my passenger is Czech...har har) Its really important, I think :-) Like you pointed out on the D37 message board, all the Professionals do it!!

Congrats on your first race - hope to see you high up in the results soon!

Chris