Proposed 2007 AMA SoCal Motocross Series

AMA, AHRMA

Moderator: Scott

chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Proposed 2007 AMA SoCal Motocross Series

Post by chris m. johnson »

Welcome to the AMA SoCal Motocross Sticky for the 2007 SoCal Motocross series (also go to http://www.amasocalmotocross.com).

This Series was started eight years ago with the AMA club last years participation of Dirt Diggers MC, Four Aces MC, Checkers MC, Ventura County MC, Taft MC, Lost Coyotes and Rovers MC with the 2007 commitment addition of Viewfinders and Hilltoppers MC to now make it an eight race series, with the Prospectors and Shamrocks also being involved in previous years.

Over the last five or so years, sidecars have been on series hiatus due to the participating facility track design and prep not being sidecar friendly. This has changed as all of the tracks on schedule have redesigned for old school style motocross that is becoming more and more popular in recent years (with the exception of Taft MX Arena Cross).

The sidecars were introduced to this series in the early years by Richard Meyers (having many teams show for several years), Sidecar racer and AMA club member from the Prospectors, and two years ago we had several teams go to Shamrocks MC MX (who is Morgan Pierce & Janette Player club). Last year, we had several teams attend the series opener at Ridgecrest hosted by the Dirt Diggers MC and all showed had a great time.

Since this is an AMA Sanctioned Series (Bill and Sandy Howell from the AMA will be at each event), for sidecar participation will be covered under AMA Insurance and can be tied together with any other AMA Series (that AMA sidecars can race) for multiple title chases (IE AMA Sidecar National motocross Championship and AMA District 37 Best of the West (AMA District 37 GP, Desert, Enduro & MX combined) where while racing one event, could be going toward any and/or all of three different series.

I am posting this so we have enough time for planning so please chime in with suggestions and ideas toward either just racing this series, or just the AMA National MX Series, or the AMA Big Six GP Series, or merging with any or all of these series. It would sure be nice to get a full gate of sidecars again (dreaming) here in the states so if we picked and chose several, maybe we can get a good turnout of rigs and racers. If anyone were to pursue a SoCal series championship plate, they must attend five of any of the nine events.

This could be a good merge as with our local GP Series, The AMA District 37 Big Six GP Series is also tied into the AMA District 37 Best of the West, which converges Southern California Desert racing, the Big Six, the Fun Five Enduro Series and now this AMA SoCal MX Series into one best of the West championship, that are all AMA Sanctioned. If there was an open date during the summer to include an AMA National Sidecar MX event, this would be covered as well and could be a good fit.

I am just putting this out as a suggestion and by no means or ways am I promoting this, or in charge in anyway with the sidecars at these events (with the exception of being the ROVERS MC (my personal club) as the MX rep) and the presentation of this thread on this message board. Here is a proposed schedule:

------------------- Schedule of AMA SoCal MX events for 2007 ------------------------

June 3 - Round 1 *Dirt Diggers MC @ Perris Raceway

June 17 - Round 2 Ventura County MC @ I-5 MX, Gorman

July 7 - Round 3 Taft MC Night Race @ Franklin Field Arena, Taft

July 8 - Round 4 Taft MC day race @ Honolulu Hills, Taft

July 29 - Round 5 Four Aces MC @ Piru Motocross Park, Piru

August 5 - Round 6 *Lost Coyotes MC @ AV Motoplex, Lancaster

August 12 - Round 7 Checkers MC @ Cal City MX Park, Cal City

August 19 - Round 8 *Rovers MC @ I-5 MX, Gorman

* Indicates that event is also a round of the AMA District 37 Best of the West Series

Round 1: The Dirt Diggers are planning something a bit different for next year, and we think it will be a lot of fun and that most of the riders will like it. The event will be at Perris and it will not really be a motocross, it will be an old school Rough Scrambles that leans towards being a motocross.

The event will be a ‘Rough Scrambles Motocross’ that uses a motocross format (motos instead of heats). The course will have a few jumps and also scrambles type sections where you can do your best Jim Connolly imitation and get sideways. (Jim is helping to put the track together!) This will be a race for knobby tires, as opposed to ‘Class C traction’, and will offer the riders something different.

I look forward in hearing back from you (either by message board post, email AIRCMJ@AOL.com, by phone (661) 917-5565), or get in touch with Allen Wenzel, Mike Burns, Janette Player and/or Richard Meyers and Spread the word to any and all sidecar racers we all know. CJ
Last edited by chris m. johnson on Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TEAM SOLTRON
Chris Johnson, Jack, Randy, Brian, Kylie, Paul (Califiornia GP, DESERT, MX - #Z1) Soltron, EventPhoto, Marks Performance Products.
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Series travel

Last year, Paul and I raced our favorite MX track at Honey Lake above Reno, then the next day made it down to Ridgecrest for the Dirt Diggers AMA SoCal MX Series opener and had a great time at both venues with more time to spare.

Honey Lake was on a Saturday and Dirt Diggers was on Sunday. This year will be the same thing except the Dirt Diggers opener will be at the Perris venue a bit further south, but is still doable for both races on the same weekend.

Plans are to do both again. !!!!
TEAM SOLTRON
Chris Johnson, Jack, Randy, Brian, Kylie, Paul (Califiornia GP, DESERT, MX - #Z1) Soltron, EventPhoto, Marks Performance Products.
Thorina

Post by Thorina »

WAAAAAA HOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Let's see some frikken racing on '07!!!!!!!!!!

peace,
janette
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

AMA SoCal Championship MX Series update

AMA SoCal MX Revised schedule for 2007
* denotes Best of the West
** denotes BOTW & AMA Sidecar National

Hilltoppers & Viewfinders have decided to withdraw from the schedule but, Taft added a day race at Honolulu Hills which wil be a fun venue, to now make it a seven race series.

June 17 - Round 1 Ventura County MC @ I-5 MX, Gorman

June 24th - Round 2 *Dirt Diggers MC @ Perris Raceway

July 7 - Round 3 Taft MC Night Race @ Franklin Field Arena, Taft

July 8 - Round 4 Taft MC,day race @ Honolulu Hills, Taft

July 29 - Round 5 Four Aces MC @ Competitive Edge, Hesperia

Aug 5 - Round 6 *Lost Coyotes MC @ Adealanto Motorplex, Adelanto

Aug 19 - Round 7 **Rovers MC @ I-5 MX, Gorman
(AMA Sidecar MX National)

Must have five sidecars to make a sidecar only race, and must race five of the seven events to be eligible for series awards. Any questions please call me at (661) 917-5565 / CHEERS, Chris Johnson
TEAM SOLTRON
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

AMA SoCal MX @ Competitive Edge, Four Aces MC July 29th

Four Aces have moved their venue from Piru to Competitive Edge scheduled for July 29th.

This will be the first time sidecars have even been on the track there in Hesperia. We are told this will be very sidecar / EVO & quad friendly so if there is enough sidecar teams, we can have our own race or we can race with the EVO/CLASSIC & Decades or just fill in with the quads depending on who shows.

any other information go to AMAsocalmotocross.com. CHEERS, Chris
TEAM SOLTRON