Problems for SidecarCross.com

General forum information, forum rules, and requests regarding these forums. Also, questions and issues regarding the SidecarCross.com web site.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

matthews67
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by matthews67 »

I would also like to say how much i appreciate the site and dont want to lose it. I also second what Toni said about posting messages i do post messages but 9/10 times when i log on what i need to or want to know is already on here which is great. It is also the only site which i log onto every day as soon as i get in, i will also be willing to contribute to the running of the site and i feel paypal is the best and safest way for all of us willing to do so.
Dave Tye
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Paypal

Post by Dave Tye »

Hi Guys,
Paypal works for me... perhaps if it was introduced a brief set of instructions on how to use it would work for the uninitiated at the same time as people were instructed on how to use the site/forums.
Regards
Dave
sgb

Post by sgb »

we would be more than willing to pay a yearly charge (similar to Friends reunited) we are not regular posters! but look at the site a lot and would not want to loose it at all :-(
Arno

Post by Arno »

Paypal would be fine for me but I prefer creditcard because then you don't need to register at Paypal and get all their spam...
All 4 Willemsen

Post by All 4 Willemsen »

I would also like to say how much i appreciate the site and dont want to lose it. It’s a great site and I also agree with what Toni said about posting messages don’t get me wrong I have posted some messages and it has been very useful to me but In general all the info is normally there.
I log onto the site every day as soon as I get into work, I am willing to pay a yearly charge/contribute (however you want to put it).If it is decided that the payment system is done on a voluntary donation, then I hope that people don’t sit back and think oh well every one else will be donating so there is no need for me to do, because what would happen if every one thought like that? No SidecarCross.com.
The way people should look at it is that with out the site it’s not going to be as easy to find out travel information, riders up dates and all that is it?. ( I could go on forever about the site and the reasons why the site is so important but at the end of the day its down to each person to decide weather to help or not ).

One last thing let’s take into account when Rien did not have his photos from Kegums (Latvia) on the site until a bit later this time, people wanted to know why and that’s because a lot of people are depending on this site for photo’s etc.

I really hope it all works out for the best in the end!

All 4 Willemsen/Chelsea :-)
Les Batten
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Support from Sidecar Moto Cross Association of Great Britain

Post by Les Batten »

Without actually putting the question of a donation to our committee I think I can stick my neck out and pledge some cash towards the upkeep of the site as it is well used by sidecar cross fans in the UK.....I will make sure it is on the agenda for our next meeting. Meantime keep up the good work....Regards Les Batten, Chairman SMCA of GB
mike

SidecarCross.com

Post by mike »

also from this side of the netherlands...scott and rien thanks for the hard work you both put in the site and in the sport and hoping that you wil do so for years to come if you can...and want to
and also from this side a payment/contribution to the site no problem i watch the site every day after work..
and abouth scott's question abouth....Why are the manufacturers and related businesses not interested in advertising on this site...it's also there living.
i also look at a site called hotlap.nl also every day , they have got major advertisers but i don't know if they pay ( but i think the awnser is yes,they will pay ) and why do they advertise over there because it is money for them...Why are the manufacturers and related businesses not interested in advertising on this site..is it because they think it is a lost of there money...this is internet everybody around the globe is watching your ad...sadley i will onley make it to france in time and have to skip rudersberg and will be a day to late in jauer , but i wil give rien an amount of money to suport the site and if will not exept it i wil have to wait for that pay pall thing to arive at the site
greetz mike
http://spaces.msn.com/members/Mad-Monk-Animal/ for photo's that i've taken with my cellphone(gsm)
PLUGGER

Post by PLUGGER »

Scott wrote:I'm working on calculating the expenses for running the site. Rien has already sent his list of expenses to me.
If we have 200 people who make a donation, I think around 10 euros (or dollars) from each might cover our costs for a year. And for those of you who really get a lot out of the site, and want to donate more, we would sure appreciate it. That seems very reasonable to me. Less than one euro per month! What do you all think?

The expenses above do not cover the TIME that we spend, or Rien's travel expenses. It's only for direct Internet and computer related costs that are required to keep the web site going. We both still love the sport as you all do, so we are willing to put a lot into it without much payback.
Just my two cents

let me explain a few details

I run a web hosting company, and also web design, and especially a forums expert (and have created many)

so in regards the costs of running a web site, its not that bad

i mean what are you talking here Scott

web pages / forum / database / pictures storage etc

something of that nature as it is, only costs $10 - $20 per month

so $120 - $240 dollars per year

so thats all the site should be costing in my opinion

you mentioned other expenses, like the TIME that we spend, or Rien's travel expenses.

are these to be included in your request for help here

if so what are we looking at here

doesnt Rien sell his photos to help pay the costs (maybe im wrong)
because i for one havent seen any of his photos without a great big watermark accross them, so i presume these arnt available in the public domain

as some of you know i do attend some of the events in the UK and take many photographs (although not the same quality as Rein's)

but because i love the sport and my way of contributing to it, is to allow all the pics i take to be freely available, and all my time, aswell as hosting and designing and updating SidecarMX goes, all that is done for the value of the sport, its a small price to pay in my opinion, and the enjoyment of going to meetings, watching, meeting the riders and passengers is all worth it - the only downside i have i will be moving to greece next year, so i wont be able to visit meetings and take photos

so im gonna miss it undoubtedly

well thats just my 2 cents worth

and scott if you need any help in the site demands above then shout up man
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

PLUGGER wrote: Just my two cents let me explain a few details
I run a web hosting company, and also web design, and especially a forums expert (and have created many) / so in regards the costs of running a web site, its not that bad / i mean what are you talking here Scott / web pages / forum / database / pictures storage etc
something of that nature as it is, only costs $10 - $20 per month / so $120 - $240 dollars per year / so thats all the site should be costing in my opinion
That’s partly true if you are running a small site without a lot of visitors. SidecarCross.com receives thousands of visitors each day, and that’s growing all the time. Our bandwidth usage is in the tens of gigabytes per month, so costs are higher. Plus, you’re only counting the direct hosting cost. What about hardware, software, ISP, and other related support costs? Though many of those costs support tasks in addition to SidecarCross.com, they still need to be paid for, and they ARE required in order to maintain the site. The expenses Rien sent to me included some of these added costs, but only a percentage of the total since he also uses those things for personal and hobby use.
PLUGGER wrote:you mentioned other expenses, like the TIME that we spend, or Rien's travel expenses. / are these to be included in your request for help here / if so what are we looking at here
As I stated very clearly earlier, our time and travel expenses are not included in the costs we are trying to cover. We love the sport, so we work for FREE.
PLUGGER wrote:doesnt Rien sell his photos to help pay the costs (maybe im wrong)
because i for one havent seen any of his photos without a great big watermark accross them, so i presume these arnt available in the public domain
I’ll let Rien respond to this one.
PLUGGER wrote:as some of you know i do attend some of the events in the UK and take many photographs (although not the same quality as Rein's)
but because i love the sport and my way of contributing to it, is to allow all the pics i take to be freely available, and all my time, aswell as hosting and designing and updating SidecarMX goes, all that is done for the value of the sport, …
If you did this for 9 years straight, and you only received a caringly presented “Thank Youâ€
Rien.nl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rien.nl »

Scott wrote:
PLUGGER wrote:you mentioned other expenses, like the TIME that we spend, or Rien's travel expenses. / are these to be included in your request for help here / if so what are we looking at here
As I stated very clearly earlier, our time and travel expenses are not included in the costs we are trying to cover. We love the sport, so we work for FREE.
PLUGGER wrote:doesnt Rien sell his photos to help pay the costs (maybe im wrong)
I’ll let Rien respond to this one.
Plugger,
As webmaster you should know better, because you know it isn't as simple as you wrote. I agree 101% with the reply of Scott.
I invest a lot of time in sidecarcross and not only Sidecarcross.com, i travel (when possible) to each GP to inform you all about results. If there is time i also write some details, mostly i have the help of some other fanatic and enthusiast sidecar people, but thats the way we work and we care for eachother.
Do you have any idea how much work it is to inform the world with only the results? People who know me can confirm this. And what do you think that is neccesary to put these results so quickly on the website.
Without my laptop, a lot of extra equipment, some programs and big knowledgement of internet connections i was even able to post anything.
Do you really think that the pressroom is a luxury room with all the facilities already installed? Then i must dissapoint you. Mostly the pressroom is a room somewhere with hopefully a table and a chair.
Ok, there is always a telephone line, but if its available and from a good quality its just a question. Some organisers knows the needs of the press and have internet connections or some extra telephone lines, but mostly the people from the press must arrange a lot of things before they can start working.

I have the support of another sidecarfreak with who i can travel together and i am very very very gratefull for that.
What do you think a trip for instance to Spain, Bulgaria or Latvia costs?
Just count the gasoline and toll and it is already a fortune ! ! !

Then just a note about my photos: I do this with pleasure and i publish them on many website, because this is pure promotion for the sport.
What do you think about the costs for a serious equipment and the circumstance they are used (dust, mud, sand)?
Be happy i post some photos so everyone can see it.
May biggest money from photos comes from magazines, but still it is less, very less what comes in after each event.
Even there are magazines who doesn't want to pay for photos but still we send them in and let them publish it, otherwise there is NOTHING to read or look at. ALL FOR FREE. Without money i can't buy a new equipment after 3 years, because then my old gear must complety renewed to avoid problems. Any idea how much a decent equipment costs?
And you complain about the copyright logo in the small photos ! !
I only try to make some small money to get payed some of the costs.
Also about my photos you know what it is to store them on internet.
Over 10.000 photos need a lot of space and bandwith. Even you don't offer it me for free, or will you???

What i try to tell is that my hobby cost me almost the same amount of money like a brand new sidecar, but you all have the advantages of it.
Also i would like to sit down on the GP and see the stars make their races, walk over the paddock and see what is happening, talk with other fans and have a good time. But if i stop, who will do it after me?
Just remember that there are only a handfull journalist who visit almost each GP.

I even get sometimes a compliment, some fans offer me beer on Saturday evening and many teams are welcoming me with a coffee or anything else. But just a few real fans did support me in the last year and i am very gratefull to them and appriciate it a lot.

Rien
Jim vietti

Post by Jim vietti »

Scott and Rien,

I am one of the newest Sidecar MX monkeys in the USA racing for Team Hennessy/Vietti out of New Mexico in the United States. I have been using the website religiously for 3 years now and also am willing pay a reasonable fee to keep the sight up and running. My total need for adrenaline is fueled constantly by the new photo's, vintage photo's and information on the sport overseas. Please let me know where to send a check. I appologize for not registering years ago. I hope others will step up and help keep this site up and functioning.

Thank you for your support of the USA AMA National Sidecarcross Series. Without your support sidecar motocross racing would not be making a comeback in the USA.

Jim Vietti/Dave Hennessy
Southwest Sidecar MX Unlimited
Orangehat
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Orangehat »

Longtime not spoken, (sorry holiday..Studing...)

First of all thanks to Scott & Rien for all the work last years. We really apreciate it :!:

I can understand the "bad" feelings of Scott and Rien about people visiting here. Maybe 1 out of hundred make them a nice compliment or so ever. 99 out of hundred people screaming murder when something is not working!!! :evil:

I think the paypal thing could work, but I really understand the bad feeling of Scott. I hope many people make a donation, but I think less are going to do it.......
:cry:

Isn't it a idea of selling some clothing during the GP's... just a T-shirt or something with some good sidecar-action, the profit can be usefull I guess....

I think its a "pitty" how much people responded so far......... SCX is a "bit" of a populair sport in the Netherlands and I'm the third (Rien included!) dutchie who posts something in this thread!!!

I hope my clothing idea is something worthy to do.....

Ciao
CHECK http://WWW.ORANGEHAT.NL
- pics of motorsports(lot's of SCX)
- videoclips(lot's SCX)
- and more...
Al Wenzel
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Problems for Sidecarcross.com

Post by Al Wenzel »

Hello Scott & Rien,

I certainly appreciate all of your efforts when it comes to the website! It was this very website that got me interested in Sidecar MX and pursuaded me to get involved in the sport.

Sidecar MX is such a great sport. It's hard to understand why so many solo riders and friends don't get involved, but I guess it is a niche sport, both in the USA and abroad. I love every minute that I get to drive an outfit around.

Scott, your website has become the "epi-center" of all things Sidecar MX related......world-wide. You've done a fantastic job with it. Name another site that is hosted by an enthusiast that became the primary site for results, news and information about an entire sport. There isn't one that I know of!

Sure, there are other sites that are more Country or Region specific, but they don't provide the bigger picture about the sport. Your site does, and it does it better than any other site in the world!

So, am I willing to contribute to Sidecarcross.com? Indeed, I am. Because Sidecarcross.com is bigger than all of us......

Thanks Scott & Rien for all of your effort's over the years!!!

Al,

Allen L. Wenzel
AMA-National Sidecar MX Coordinator
Sidecar MX is the ultimate Team Sport...
stwline
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by stwline »

Hello,

thank you for your great Job.Ich would be also ready to pay and it for be all the same there a fee should, must to it it specify. I would protect the side with member names and password. Who does not pay, also nothing can read!!

So simply??

Many greetings Stefan
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

I agree whit this, it is the easiest way in my opinion :oops: This site has to stay alive :!: . And of course Scott and Rien are doing a great job, but do we have to thank you every week for it :?: .And for the small number of responses; it isn't easy for everyone to say what they think in english.[/b]