HOW TO POST A PHOTOGRAPH

General forum information, forum rules, and requests regarding these forums. Also, questions and issues regarding the SidecarCross.com web site.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

HOW TO POST A PHOTOGRAPH

Post by John Wolverson »

Could you please tell me how you attach a photograph to a letter on this forum?

Best regards........Johnny Wolverson UK.

Ps, It's still the best site on the Internet.
Rien.nl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HOW TO POST A PHOTOGRAPH

Post by Rien.nl »

John Wolverson wrote:Could you please tell me how you attach a photograph to a letter on this forum?

Best regards........Johnny Wolverson UK.

Ps, It's still the best site on the Internet.
John,
look at this FAQ: http://www.sidecarcross.com/forum/faq.php#24
or http://sidecarcross.com/forum/faq.php?mode=bbcode#9
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

How to post a Photograph onto this forum.

Post by John Wolverson »

Rien, From what I have read on those addresses that you gave me, it is impossible for me to put a photograph directly from my own gallery onto my post. In "very very" simple terms, (I am now over 70), just what do I have to do to complete the transfere of the photograph onto my post to the forum. The information on those sites are way over my head.

Many thanks Rien for your very prompt reply............John Wolvorson.
Rien.nl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rien.nl »

Let me try to explain it simple as possible:
1st. the picture should be already somewhere online on the internet. Maybe there is some space with your internet account where you can put the photo on?
Another solution is to use http://www.imageshack.us/ This service is complete FREE and easy to use.
2nd. if the picture online, then you can add this picture into a posting with the IMG button. This gonna look like this [ img ] here come the URL of your picture [ /img ]
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

How to post a photograph onto the forum.

Post by John Wolverson »

Many thanks Rien. Now that is very easy to understand!!! If I put my photographs onto the AOL's public gallery, will I then be able to transfer it from there to the forum?

Again many thanks.......Johnny W.......UK
Rien.nl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rien.nl »

John,
your correct, the picture must be first on the internet.
Then you need the adress/URL of the picture (something like http://www.forexample.com/picture1.jpg) Rightclick on a picture and you will see the properties which contain the adress
This adress can be placed into your topic behind the [ img ] and end with [ /img ]

Good luck..
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

John, if you are successful in getting one of your photos into a post here, then I will declare you a computer and internet EXPERT! It’s not the simplest thing to do unless you’re a 15 year old kid! I hope others here will follow your path, and start posting some photos in the forum.

Be aware that the size of the photo could be a problem. Most computers can display images about 1024 pixels wide by 768 pixels high (1024x768). Better computers can display more, and older computers may only be able to display 800x600. If your photo is bigger than that size, then part of the photo will be off the screen on many computers. The more expensive digital cameras make photos that are MUCH larger than these sizes. So, before those photos can be fully displayed on the internet, they must be resized to a smaller size. A good size is 640x480 or maybe 800x600. Most photo programs provide a way to resize your photos. Also, many of those photo upload websites have ways to resize your photos. So, before you try to use a photo in a forum post, be sure you have one that is a good size. Just as an example, most of the avatar photos in this forum are about 128 pixels wide, and about 100 or more pixels high (the photo below your name, in your case it’s that beautiful blue/yellow EML). Obviously that’s a bit too small if you’re trying to show a cool racing shot.

Another thing to consider is where the photo is stored on the internet. When you upload it (like to imageshack.us), it stays there. When you make a post in this form, and add the link to that photo, the photo does not move into our forum, it stays at imageshack.us. When a member here views your post, their computer is told (by the link in your post) that the photo is over at imageshack.us, and their computer goes and gets it from there and displays it within your message (very confusing, I know!). Anyway, just be aware that if you delete the photo from imageshack.us, then it will also disappear from the post in this forum.

Once you have a photo at imageshack.us or some other place, come back to THIS forum thread and try posting it here as Rien described. It will probably take a few tries. Be aware you can EDIT your post instead of posting a new message. Just find the EDIT button at the upper right of your post.

Good luck!

-------------------------------

An 800x600 photo from my HogWildRacing.com site:

And another one that's 640x524:
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

How to post a photograph to this forum

Post by John Wolverson »

Hello Scott, nice to hear from you again. Even after Rien's brilliant explanation it is still very daunting for an old chap like me. I did try to send my photographs to the AOL public site, with the view to finally sending them to your forum, but alas I failed miserably, but I do intend to try again tonight. I just wished that I was 15 again like you say, and not 70. Or it was a Norton 850 Commando engine to rebuild, now that would be easy!!! Give me engines and outfits to work on any day!!!

All the best........Your "old" friend from the UK.........John.

Ps, I am still helping riders from around the world to construct sidecars on to their solo motorcycles, and I am presently helping a rider in South Africa to construct a set of leading link forks for his Kawasaki 1100 road type sidecar outfit. Through your brilliant website I have made so many friends from all over the world.
ian.uk
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Does this work?

Post by ian.uk »

Obviously not..will try again

Used imageshack..very easy. This is a thumbnail. Click on image to see full size.

or use a hotlink to get a picture like this.
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

How to post a photograph

Post by John Wolverson »

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to post a photograph

Post by Scott »

John Wolverson wrote:First try, here goes.
Almost!
1) Immediately after the [img, you have to have a ]
2) And for just a simple (no link) photo, you should not use the =
3) immediately before the ending ] you need this: [/img
so, it starts with [img]and%20ends%20with[/img]
Last edited by Scott on Thu May 25, 2006 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

How to post a photograph onto this forum

Post by John Wolverson »

Many thanks Ian, I am half way there now (JUST BRILLIANT)!!!!, but how do I put just the photograph just like you have done? I have only managed to put this address.

Again thanks a lot.........Johnny Wolverson.
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

hOW TO POST A PHOTOGRAPH ON THIS FORUM

Post by John Wolverson »

Thanks Scott for all of your help, I'me away now to try again.

All the best..........Johnn Wolverson.
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

How to post a photograph on this forum.

Post by John Wolverson »

Here we go again.
ian.uk
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by ian.uk »

Congratulations John. It was your determination to learn how to do it that made me try. You have put up a thumbnail, another address on imageshack gives you a hotlink...that gives the bigger picture.
Thanks Rien and Scott for your guidance.