feb. 2008 small problem on our forum

General forum information, forum rules, and requests regarding these forums. Also, questions and issues regarding the SidecarCross.com web site.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

Rien.nl
Site Admin
Site Admin

feb. 2008 small problem on our forum

Post by Rien.nl »

In the end of January, our hosting provider decided to do some updates the software of their hosting computers.
Most times this is real good , but this time it isn't.
It was an unattended update of some critical software which was done even without any message or information to the users. This causes some serious problems on our forum.
Now after some days everything looks normal, but i am realy concerned about the current situation and the workflow and processes of our hosting provider.
This resulted that i immediately contacted a new hosting provider and created a new webspace.
In a few days this new webspace will be available and operational.
The first thing i will do is install a complete new forum and restore a backup from our Sidecarcross.com forum into this new forum.
What are the consequences: the software used for that forum is a new version as we are using now, but is compatible with the forum content we have now.
Some items will be different, but almost everything must be the same for users. Only the layout is slighty changed.

There will be moments that our forum is not available, because i need to transfer data (accounts, messages, avatars, etc.) to the new forum
In that period it will be not possible to see/read/write on the forum.
Also new messages can be lost in the next days, specially in the period of conversion.
So important messages can better hold for some days or send it with an email to me.
If everything goes well, i will announce the new forum and change sidecarcross.com link into the new forum
Thats step 1.

Step 2 will be relocating the complete Sidecarcross.com website to a new hosting provider. This means that everything on Sidecarcross.com must be moved from 1 webspace to another webspace.
In that period the complete website will be unavailable for some period.
I hope that i can copy 1 to 1 into the new webspace without any big modifications.

Step 3 is to update the current website. Some items needs to be updated, some will be deleted and some will be refreshed. This will be done separately after step 1 and 2.

As you can see, there are some major changes going on, so don't be disappointed when Sidecarcross.com is not available for a moment.
Finally we all have have a better working forum and a updated website with more space available which give extra opportunities for photo/video etc...
Rien.nl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: feb. 2008 small problem on our forum

Post by Rien.nl »

As you can read this messages, you can see that step 1 is completed.
The forum is running now on a new domain (http://www.sidecarcross.eu) with the newest software for the forum.
The installation is only a standard version and at this moment there is no banner or logo on top of the page.
Why Sidecarcross.EU; to say it simple, to avoid problems. At this moment we have this new forum running, but the old forum on sidecarcross.com is still available and unchanged. This gives me the opportunity to test all new items and to create and install the options we wants without any change of lost of data in the old forum.
It was also necessary to upgrade to the newest software because the old forum wasn't running smooth anymore due to some major problems with the software on the hosting computers and the communication about these updates between the hosting company and Sidecarcross.COM as user of the webspace.
For that reason we (Scott and me) decided to move sidecarcross.COM to another hosting provider. To do this without any lost of data and get the forum (and probally also the website) online, i decided to put all forum data temporarily on Sidecarcross.eu.
After transfering Sidecarcross.COM to the new hosting provider, we can restore the complete website to the new location.
Now i hope that everybody can see the advantage of this major change and hope you can have again a great time here on our forum.
If you find some problems relating to the use of this forum, please check the FAQ on top of the screen or leave me a message.

Will be continued.....
Rien
Orangehat
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Orangehat »

Rien,

You've got (and had done) a lot of work to do.

BIG THANKS FOR IT and keep up!

Ciao 8-)
CHECK http://WWW.ORANGEHAT.NL
- pics of motorsports(lot's of SCX)
- videoclips(lot's SCX)
- and more...
Rien.nl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rien.nl »

And today another major change/update has been finished.. :-P
The Sidecarcross.com website is completely moved to another hosting provider.
Only a small problem was solved (most users couldn't connect to this forum) but 1 of our users who was sending me an email about this problem.
Now i think everything must be working OK... if NOT... please let me know.... :idea:
Step 2 is finished... just 1 to go.. :mrgreen:

Also your ideas or wishes are warmly welcomed...