wasp rear wheel spindle

Questions and answers about mechanical things, sidecar construction, riding techniques, etc.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

trevsmith

wasp rear wheel spindle

Post by trevsmith »

Hi all, iam attempting to resurrect a 1979 wasp airbag frame outfit my first time with a wasp,, running a Norton 750 motor.its all original wasp hubs disc etc problem Is cant remove the rear wheel spindle, it will move about 10mm each way with a light tap with a copper mallet then it stops and feels as if its hitting on something hard in the hub. I presume the spindle is flat ie no shoulders and guessing it should just knock out ? does it matter which side it knocks out from ?. I have removed the end eccentric adjustment caps from the spindle/ swing arm, each side, does it matter where the adjusters are positioned for spindle removal ? or should it just knock out in any position, have tried loads of plus gas etc, hope this makes sense, was going to try a bigger hammer but experience says be cautious, any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated. thanks trev.
Arthur W

Re: wasp rear wheel spindle

Post by Arthur W »

Hi, it should just come out. Is it definately a wasp hub? Usually the spindle has a nut welded to one end so it can only come out one way. It may have become seized in the bearing spacer but it probably wouldn't move at all in that case unless the circlips are missing.
Arthur
trevsmith

Post by trevsmith »

hi, thanks for the reply, yes it definatley a wasp hub (says wasp on it ). the spindle is threaded each end , not a bolt, may have been replaced ?, anyhow its good to know the bearings are retained by circlips. I measured the movement in the spindle and its actually about 6mm each way.i think you may be on the right track by suggesting the spacer, I had wonderd if its been left out hence the movement,.its very hard to get any plus gas down the spindle.the wheel spins freely on the bearings unfortunately I need a new tyre as I would have left it alone . I had considered cutting the wheel spindle out , but I don't want to go down that route unless Its really last resort, then I will prob need a new hub ect. being a newcomer to the world of wasp I hope spares such as hubs etc are obtainable, I have briefly spoken to Mark at wasp company , the outfit has not been used for around 18 years so I knew I was in for some fun.been trying to find some exploded diagrams , very hard to find any info on these bikes ! thanks again
trevsmith

Post by trevsmith »

Hi, just to update , resorted to cutting the spindle with a hacksaw today, really not something I wanted to do, but got a good result, as soon as the wheel came out what was left of spindle easily knocked through pushing the bearing out, spacer, as suggested was seized on spindle and was going nowhere ! no damage to hub . can now crack on.