JUMPING !!!!

Questions and answers about mechanical things, sidecar construction, riding techniques, etc.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

redbull8447

JUMPING !!!!

Post by redbull8447 »

hi guys, could do with a little help, just started sidecars and went practiceing today, started off nice and slow while me and me bruv got used to it , and then picked the pace up slowly and ended going quite well. Before we went home we said we better have a go at some jumps !!!!!

Lined our selves up nicely and set off over jump, crusing in thrid gear all ok perfect landing.

second attempt went wrong and sidecar nearly went over on the drivers side but we managed to save it.

3rd and 4th attemped not to bad.

Do i power off the face of the jump like you would on a solo or build speed before hand and roll off with no throttle??????

please help

redbull
"2 Stroke Power"
Batty69
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Batty69 »

Sorry mate im only the passenger, best post this on english forum as you get more feedback there :-)
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

This is the right place to post. This whole forum is "English" speaking, except a couple of the country specific forums.

If the passenger "pulls" over one jump, and not on another, you might get strange handling. The throttle mostly affects how high the front wheel goes, and should not affect the sidecar tipping up or down. Don't make any slight turns as you launch.

Get an experienced passenger to ride with you a couple of laps to give you some hints on what you're doing right or wrong. Then have your passenger ride with an experienced driver to get some tips too.

Practice, practice, practice!
Howie314

Post by Howie314 »

If the passenger Pulls
what does this mean??

I am redbulls passenger, i tried to stay relatively still over jump so as not to offer any undue preload/inbalance on chair. standing with my weight about 3/4 along the chair towars the chair wheel.

The only thing that seemed to be difffernet was our speed, slower than first jump and subsequent jumps.

If the rig does stary to tip off a jump can i lean to bbring it back/save it?? can the driver do anything??

Any help is greatly appreciated, as i wont have to change my pants after every lap!! lol

thanks in advance.
Have some, newbies coming through!!!
http://www.2sup-racing.co.uk
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Howie314 wrote:I am redbulls passenger, i tried to stay relatively still over jump so as not to offer any undue preload/inbalance on chair. standing with my weight about 3/4 along the chair towars the chair wheel.
That sounds fine. The best thing to do is to be consistent. That way you won't surprise your driver.

If you pull up or back on the bar/grab rail when you launch, it can make the whole rig do strange things.

Yes, the passenger can have some effect in the air, but that takes years of practice to learn.

The problem is not the speed. Maybe the chair wheel hit a small bump at the top of the jump, or the driver made a very slight turn, or something else. It's impossible to determine without a video. Just keep practicing, and you'll get better.
Howie314

Post by Howie314 »

thanks for all the help scott, reckon your right and practice does make perfect!!! lots of practice!!

thanks again.
Have some, newbies coming through!!!
http://www.2sup-racing.co.uk
jedster

Jumping

Post by jedster »

As a full time passenger, but part time rider I've found that no mater how fast you take a Jump, always leave the jump with some throttle on and alwas land with some throttle on too. It helps keep the front wheel in the air which makes landing easyer. I've seen sidecars going over jump almost 90deg sideways with the rider flapping his leg in the air and still land perfectly as long as you keep the front wheel up and some gas on.

When ever we look like we're in trouble over a jump or even in a corner my rider nails the throttle wide open. Its a hard thing to learn but will save you nine times out of ten.

The best advice I can give to a passenger is awas try to let your body wieght be carried by your legs. The tighter you hold on with your arms the more your wieght pulls the bike around in the air. Keeping your balance threw your legs also saves your energy too.
stuarty141082

Re: JUMPING !!!!

Post by stuarty141082 »

i've just started pratice pratice pratice. it get easier
thumper
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by thumper »

The only advice I can give you mate is always always blame the passenger. Its always their fault!
Here endeth the lesson
matthews67
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by matthews67 »

come on thumper , dont be modest. What about all your bumping techniques, you could share them with these chaps. What about your racing motto , if you cant jump just bump . Lol see you froooome old chap. Mayhem
thumper
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by thumper »

Ah Mr Mayhem Matthews. The only driver that needs stabilisers on a 3-wheeler and can still turn it over. I look forward to trying to avoid you weaving across the track this weekend
Doogle
Active Visitor 500
Active Visitor 500

Post by Doogle »

thumper wrote:The only advice I can give you mate is always always blame the passenger. Its always their fault!
Here endeth the lesson

Or have the passenger shout at you until you give in and jump...
thumper
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by thumper »

Its still imprinted on my brain my old mate. Stored in the nightmare section.
fletch

Post by fletch »

Gidday from Downunder.
Having been a passenger for 30Yrs now I may answer you question.
I think you should try a couple of things- 1 is to not try stuff without some experience and by that I mean find a passenger that has done lots of this and try with them. Alot of it is where they stand and what they do when you're in the air.
2 is to find a piece of track or flat paddock with a hump in it and do figure 8s with a tight turn on one end and a long loop on the other-this way you will get a good try at most things. i.e. a tight turn and a jump (over the hump in the middle) then a long turn and a jump (try to have the hump or jump steep on one side and easy on the other).
After mastering it in one direction turn about and go in the other. I wish I could draw this for you but I'm sure you will get my drift.
You will get quicker and quicker and you brother will get more confident more quickly than blasting around a mx track blindly guessing what's coming up. Also on that always let your passenger know if you are going to turn either way- you will see more spills at slow speed in the pits when drivers change direction suddenly without letting the passenger know. I've seen drivers with broken arms from these manouvers.
Your passenger should also try to find a ride with a competent driver so he can understand what's expected of him.
We have a couple of guys down here with a modern KTM that is parked up as they have both tried to ride it-swapping roles even and they still have no idea how to get it around a track! They live too far away to join us at meetings and are getting nowhere fast.
Cheers for now-Fletch
Dave Tye
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Dave Tye »

Hi Guys,

How is the jumping going? Any easier now?

Where abouts are you guys practicing?

Dave