Passenger fittness

Questions and answers about mechanical things, sidecar construction, riding techniques, etc.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

stuarty141082

Passenger fittness

Post by stuarty141082 »

what fittness training do you guys do??
Husser
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Re: Passenger fittness

Post by Husser »

Spinning (RPM) and bodypump. 4 hours in a week is enough. (2 spinning and 2 bodypump)
fletch

Post by fletch »

As a young passenger I found rugby training was good-just don't get hurt playing on the week ends!! I missed some major state and national titles due to injury- and they say we're mad on the sidecar.
I also did lots of outdoor work shovelling piles of sand and soil about- I landscaped my own garden. It's great for legs, back torso and arms as well as breathing. Much the same as passenger work. Not many exercises do all at once.
Cycling is always good for cardio and breathing.
Be carefull to warm up before beginning a ride- Fritz Fuss had the best warn-up routine ever that did the whole body.
I've seen passengers in shock after coming in from some practise laps without a good warm up so be very careful there.
Dave Tye
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Dave Tye »

Hi There,

I know I am not exactly the best passenger out there, but below are some details of what works for me. (Please bare in mind I am 31, been racing since I was 16 but am currently trying to come back from nearly a year off riding and not really that fit)

I find some medium weights with high repition can be good, also rowing works for me.

Currently I train between 3 & 4 times a week but only for just over an hour at a time due to work commitments.

I warm up on a bike for 10 minutes or so,
Stetch
Row between 2000 and 5000 meters depending on the day. (Copncept 2 Rowing machine, Level 10)

If I row 2000 meters I then do weights (2 sets of 15 reps per each exercise) to strengthen arms, legs, core etc then Row another 1000 meters. Finally some more core work and stretch again. (On a good day with more time I will then row another 1000 meters.

If I row 5000 meters I normally miss the weights out and just do core work and stretch again and cycle another 10 minutes.

Some cycling in between helps but NOTHING is a substitute for bike time. I am finding that exercises such as rowing and cycling help loads but you need to be able to maintain a decent rate of work for at least as long as a race to really help.

Hope that helps a bit

Dave
stuarty141082

Post by stuarty141082 »

thanks guys