mountain bike

About off-road sidecars, racing and riding. Go here ONLY if you don't find an appropriate category below.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

Zixel

Post by Zixel »

Sam Van Tongerloo wrote:i would try a 360 with it... think that"s possible...
iand how do u soppos to do that? Just turn deeply befor air?

And were sould i force the bike's frame?
John should know that...
Sam Van Tongerloo
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Sam Van Tongerloo »

turn just when you leave the edge of a jump and keep on twisting in the air. really have to practise, explaining is difficult, and i think the hardtail picture show a good construction. i'm thinking on building one myself.
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

And what about the brakes? There are 3 of them on the MTB sidecar. How to use them with only two handles? Soomeone said that u should to do parellel 2 of them. Its the only way to use all 3 brakes connected to only 2 brake-handles. But which ones? Front+side or back+side?
Sam Van Tongerloo
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

as i see on the picture, the side wheel is more aligned with the back, so i'd say : side+back. also because using the front brake the bike lifts his rear. and i think you need the side brake a couple of times.
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

What do u mean "more aligned with the back"? U mean that its desighned not correct as the sidecars must be?

By the way, which fork would u recommend to buy for sideMTB? Can u give some suggestions?
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Mountain bike sidecar.

Post by John Wolverson »

The sidecar has a lead over the rear wheel on a motocross outfit of 400 to 450mm. I would suggest that you have at least 200 to 250mm on your mountain bike outfit, so that the rear wheel dosen't try to lift in left hand bends, (if you have your sidecar mounted on the right)!! If you can tell me the wheel base that your proposed outfit will have, I try to give you more of an idea. On that small sidecar that I made for Tom, it had a 180mm lead.

Regards.......Johnny W.
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

The base depends also which fork to buy. Im still donno which one to choose.
When ill tell u the base, Can u also calucate the other dimensions exept the leading? The length of sidecar. The degree of side wheel turn. I heard that the wheel is also bended by vertical axel?
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Mountain bike sidecar

Post by John Wolverson »

Hello Zexil, Yes I may be able to help you with the camber measurement (sidecar wheel lean in), and the amount of toe-in that the sidecar wheel would require, if that mountain bike sidecar website can't help you. They must have found the optimum setting for all of these things.

Regards.........John Wolverson.
Sam Van Tongerloo
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

i can recommend the dirt jumper III fork; they're solid and used in solo mtb. you can google for a forum called dirty pages, somewhere over there they're trying to built of on those, just like i'm going to do in a few months.
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

DAMN DAMN DAMN!
My co-investor (who spopsed to be my pilot) is refused of sidecar idea. He says its gonna be so slow and hard to go stright. Also durtjumps are made for solo MTBS. And we dont have a car to go to the downhills with the sideMTB. =((((( Oh! My dream is ruined!!!!!!!

PS: But is till have a hope in my heart... :idea: is it possoble to make a removeble sidecar that i could put on and take off the solo MTB, with reliable sidecar's binding sistem? How do u think? This could still save that project!
Sam Van Tongerloo
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

don't know about that, you could take a shovel and dig yourself.... :) dirts are big enough here in belguim. so is the fourcross. and slow? it's faster than a solo if it's downhill, more weight....
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

John! Help me, can u answer about my last question about the sidecar that u can mount on and off MTB? U r the smar engeneer! HELP! :cry:
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Bolt on sidecar.

Post by John Wolverson »

Hello Zixel, Yes, it would be quite possible to make a bolt on sidecar. Firstly I will need four photographs, and some measurements of your BMX, or mountain bike. Tom's will be a bolt on type. With luck, Tom's will be ready in time before you are ready to start your sidecar project. I hope to have Tom's sidecar completed and fitted onto his B.M.X, in about two months time. When it is completed, I will put some photographs onto this website, if I have mastered how to put three or more photographs on the one post, I may just have mastered it by then". You or Scott, may just be able to help me with the info of how to do it?

Best regards..........John Wolverson
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

I suggested the idea about solo bike bindeble sidecar to my MTB friend.
The idea was that i will ride solo bike. Then sometimes on holydays we will mount the sidecar, and hell become a pilot and im a passenger.

So he said that even this idea is stuped. Becose, in "solo mode" the bike gonna be too heavy, and not good to ride cos there should be a very powerfull fork with doble crown (like "Marzocchi Monster or 888" or "RockShock Boxter") to not to brake on jumps with sidecar, and the forks like dirt jumper III will brake easyly with sidecar...

Its a trap =( I stuck again! what to do?

Cow can u comment that?

:cry: :cry:
Sam Van Tongerloo
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

yes dj 3 is a rather light fork, but what i've seen, i think it's strong enough (landing on stairs and stuff without braking), it even survived a crash that broke a frame (not on a welding point)...