mountain bike

About off-road sidecars, racing and riding. Go here ONLY if you don't find an appropriate category below.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

Zixel

Post by Zixel »

Yeah, Im not doubting about that fork on solo. But what about adding the waight of pessenger and sidecar?
Sam Van Tongerloo
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Sam Van Tongerloo »

i don't know, just have to test certain things i think about weight and suspension and so on. that's part of the fun...
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

HERE is an old BMX sidecar!

John, look, this may help you!

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/littlejohn/454/4

U can see the lockers to bike's frame here

And here

http://anthonydomingo.com/hack/

Also, there is a bmx sidehack in online store!
http://www.patriotbicycles.com/Sidehacks.htm

Yeee HAaaa!!

John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

B.M.X sidecars

Post by John Wolverson »

Hello Zixel, Those websites for B.M.X sidecars are just brilliant, and will give me quite a number of ideas when I do decide to make a start on my own B.M.X sidecar project.

All the best........Johnny W. UK.

Ps, Where do you come from in Russia?
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Here's some stuff from the USA (California), from the 1970's. Several of these guys graduated to sidecar-cross in the early 1980's, including my Dakar passenger Duane McDowell (he's probably in some of these photos). My brothers and I built and rode bicycle sidecars before we raced sidecar-cross. Our first bicycle sidecar was 50% wood! That was around 1970, before BMX really got started.

The photos and website below are from Rick Twomey (Rick's Bike Shop), a good friend of mine.

Image Image

See the whole photo gallery here:
http://www.rbsteam.com/modules/sidehack/pics.php

And a poster from a 2006 event in California:
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

B.M.X sidecarcross

Post by John Wolverson »

Hello Scott, I didn't realise that B.M.X sidecarcross had been quite this popular back in the 70s in the U.S.A, or if at all. Which of the photographs are you and your brother on, and what was your race number? Marc never had a pushbike sidecar, but he did have many small 50cc and 90cc sidecar outfits. This is Marc aged about 5 or 6 in his very first sidecar race, in about 1965/6.

Bye for now...........Johnny W.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: B.M.X sidecarcross

Post by Scott »

John Wolverson wrote:...Which of the photographs are you and your brother on, and what was your race number?...
None are us. I would have to dig deep to find any photos from those days. Wow, 1965, I can't say I was doing anything back then but shitting my pants! Great photo you have there! I guess you've mastered the headache of scanning and posting photos. Great job!
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

OK, Im thinking that making a BMX sidehack is much easyer than making an MTB, becos MTB should have an alluminium frame and is so difficalt to find the moterials and a special welding for alluminium. So making a still sidecar for bmx is much easyer. (Are u gonna make it with sill pipes, right? Or with that chromium molybdenum fusion?)
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

And dont u think that we should decide the problem of uncofortable place for moving out a pessenger's leg between side wheel and handle?

John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

B.M.X SIDECAR PROJECT.

Post by John Wolverson »

Hello Zixel, On all of the small sidecar outfits that I ever made for Marc, I never once used high grade tubing. Even on the motocross outfits that I made that Marc and I raced both internationally and nationals, I only ever used seam welded grade "A" tubing, without any real problems. Although I have a tube bender I tend to use tubes off other things, like tubing from tables, chairs, and all types of other things. Office chairs (the type with plastic seats) are quite high grade tubing, if you think about it, they are very hard to bend. The little sidecar that I made for Marc in the photograph, I used office chairs with the powder coating removed for most of the chassis construction, the small chrome handrail was a part of the frame off a glass table. For the rear subframe, I found some tubing with the correct bends that I required in a skip by the side if the road. The sidecar and rear mudguard I made out of an old Kawasaki motocross front mudguard. By doing it this way your project comes out quite cheap to build. If you find at the end of the project that you don't like sidecars, it hasn't cost you anything. I will be doing some drawings shortly, and I will post them on this forum for you.

Regards........Johnny W.
Zixel

Re: B.M.X SIDECAR PROJECT.

Post by Zixel »

John Wolverson wrote:Hello Zixel, On all of the small sidecar outfits that I ever made for Marc, I never once used high grade tubing. Even on the motocross outfits that I made that Marc and I raced both internationally and nationals, I only ever used seam welded grade "A" tubing, without any real problems. Although I have a tube bender I tend to use tubes off other things, like tubing from tables, chairs, and all types of other things. Office chairs (the type with plastic seats) are quite high grade tubing, if you think about it, they are very hard to bend. The little sidecar that I made for Marc in the photograph, I used office chairs with the powder coating removed for most of the chassis construction, the small chrome handrail was a part of the frame off a glass table. For the rear subframe, I found some tubing with the correct bends that I required in a skip by the side if the road. The sidecar and rear mudguard I made out of an old Kawasaki motocross front mudguard. By doing it this way your project comes out quite cheap to build. If you find at the end of the project that you don't like sidecars, it hasn't cost you anything. I will be doing some drawings shortly, and I will post them on this forum for you.

Regards........Johnny W.
Thanx! I just understand a few last sentences. Dont explain with that difficalt english next time =)
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

B.M.X SIDECAR PROJECT.

Post by John Wolverson »

Hiya Zixel, What part didn't you understand?

Best regards......Johnny W.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: B.M.X SIDECAR PROJECT.

Post by Scott »

John Wolverson wrote:Hiya Zixel, What part didn't you understand?
I think he likes photos!
Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Scott on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

Hahaha!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

U mean that i shouldn bend pipes myself, but i heve tu find chairs with the pipes i need?
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

B.M.X SIDECAR PROJECT

Post by John Wolverson »

Hello Zixel and Scott, This is the main cheap type office chairs that I get the tubing off, But there are many other types. If you go into furniture@work you will see the exact type that I use the most. For Tom's B.M.X sidecar, for the main chassis I intend to use parts of the chrome tubular frame of a lounger, but I will do some photographs as I progress with it.

Best regards...........Johnny W.

But the exact type is on furniture@work