mountain bike

About off-road sidecars, racing and riding. Go here ONLY if you don't find an appropriate category below.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

Zixel

mountain bike

Post by Zixel »

do they use sidecars in mountainbikes? For downhill of durt jumping for exemple.
Han van Ulsen
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Han van Ulsen »

Zixel

Post by Zixel »

OK, im planning to make a removeble sidecar for my MTB. What would u recommend?
And how do they take balance in the air? I cee that sidecar and bike should be balensed someway to not careen in the air
Han van Ulsen
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by Han van Ulsen »

I don't anything from the technical part of the storey.
Ask the guys on the website I mention.

http://www.rohloff.de/en/contact/emil/index.html
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

Its ok. I found the team's site. Hope they will answer.
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

Do u know any other teams? I wont to find moe pics of sidecar MTBs
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

They dont ansver any mails. I cant find any info. Im stucked =(
What to do?
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Mountain bike sidecar construction

Post by John Wolverson »

They dont answer any mails. I cant find any info. Im stuck =(
What to do?

Hello Zixel, I had this mail today from Sidecar W.W regarding mountain bike sidecars, but it didn't ask any questions. I have built many off road sidecars for most types of solo motorcycles from 50cc on up to 950cc outfits, and also the one on the photograph that I built onto a small pedal-bike for my grandson Tom. If I can help in any way with your proposed sidecar build, feel free to contact me on johnnywolvo@aol.com.

Regards............John Wolverson.

Zixel

Post by Zixel »

OK. U dont ansver mails, so lets talk here. Ive got a problem. The pipes that i marked with red.
They connect to the tail. But what if i use a supressed soft-tail frame?
Where should i connect them then?
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Mountain bike sidecar

Post by John Wolverson »

Hello Zixel, You say that I don't answer my mail. To this moment in time I haven't received any from you. Could you please contact me direct on my e-mail address johnnywolvo@aol.com with some clear photographs of the frame that you intend to fit your sidecar. A clear rear side view of the rear subframe frame is the most important. And more shots of your chassis if possible.

Regards.........John Wolverson.
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

I dont have a frame yet. Im still thinking about buying a hardtail or supressed frame. I cant make any desidion, untill i get enoth information.
So, how to deside a problem with this red market pipes?
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Building a sidecar for a mountain bike.

Post by John Wolverson »

On the little bike sidecar that I made for my grandson, I fixed a steel plate approximately (200 mm X 60mm X 6mm) that extended back from the rear wheel spindle, with an extra fixing bolt securing it to the bike frame, so that I could mount the rear fixing point for the chassis. This extra length rearwards gave the sidecar passenger more room to get over the rear of the bike in right hand bends, and gave the peddles more space rearwards to revolve. Also it gave the sidecar more of an appearance of a full sized motocross sidecar outfit. I made a new rear tubular subframe to mount the rear mudguard on. I think that you could mean a frame with rear suspension when you say "suppressed"??? The rear suspension would create quite some problems with finding a rear fixing point for your chassis. For simplicity I think you should go for a rigid rear end bike frame, both for build strength, simplicity of fabrication, and without the added problem, and cost of finding a spring and shock that would be suitable to carry two people. There are quite large lateral forces (side loads) put through a frame when cornering with a sidecar that are not present when you race a solo frame, so here again I believe that a rigid frame would be far better for your first sidecar project. If you would require any further help with drawings, or any other information for your proposed sidecar project, please feel free to contact me on johnnywolvo@aol.com

Regards..........John Wolverson.

Ps, Shortly I will be making Tom another sidecar for his full sized mountain bike (he is now 11) so I will then have some first hand information for your forthcoming sidecar project.
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

Isnt it a problem to continue our talk here?

The thing is that sidecars are pritty limited in styles of riding in MTB (u dont have an engine). So, the only stiles of riding avaiveble in sidecars are downhill and freeride. And as far a i know, hardtail bikes (rigid rear end bike frame) are badly fits for that purpose. Mountainbikers use supressed frames in theese styles of riding.
So, what would u say about it?
Sam Van Tongerloo
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Sam Van Tongerloo »

we always use hardtail frames for freeriding...... and it works out fine :-)
Zixel

Post by Zixel »

Sam Van Tongerloo, if that so, its good news for me. us hardtails are much cheaper. And do u have side MTB? If yes, show me the pic. Im trying to find more fhotoes