measure your hack

Questions and answers about mechanical things, sidecar construction, riding techniques, etc.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

scooter650

measure your hack

Post by scooter650 »

If you have a hack available to you, please measure (or estimate) your side car wheel lead compared to rear axle and the track width and respond on this forum topic.

I'm manufacturing my own cargo hack and need some where to start my geometry estimates. :shock:

I plan on 50 in. wide and 8 in. lead........150 lb empty hack on a 300 lb bike.
:roll:

What are the advantages to further lead?

Thanks in advance for any input, Scooter
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Measure your sidecar

Post by John Wolverson »

Hi, If you would like some help with the dimensions and info with the construction of you proposed sidecar (hack) build, please contact me on johnnywolvo@aol.com. I am currently helping two other riders in Canada and one in New Zealand to construct their outfits (sidecars).

Regards.......John Wolverson. UK.
scooter650

Post by scooter650 »

I thought you guys would be a little more help.. thanks 4 nuthin :-D
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Measure your Hack

Post by John Wolverson »

Dear Mr Scooter650,
I replied to your request for infomation, and offered to help back on the 20th July (see above). If you don't get back in touch, how can we...I help?????????????

John Wolverson. UK johnnywolvo@aol.com
scooter650

Post by scooter650 »

oh? sorry, I did e-mail you and gave up... Maybe I'll try a more direct approach.. What are the measurements of the two you are working on? please post the info here in case I miss it again :lol:

here's the e-mail again
To: <johnnywolvo@aol.com>
Subject: making a hack
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:01:12 -0600
MIME-Version: 1.0

Hi Thanks for responding to my question at sidecarcross.com. What are the specs on the units you are helping with? I was looking for alot of comparables and what would work well with studded tires on ice as well.

use swampbug...(no dots nospam)@telus.net to avoid being deleted by spam software. thanx paul.
John Wolverson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Sidecar (Hack build) info.

Post by John Wolverson »

The two measurements that you require are.

1:- Your choice of width (track) was spot on at 50 inches from the outside of the bike tyres, out to the outside of the sidecar tyre.
The F.I.M rule for motocross sidecar width are, that the maximum will be 1m 150mm........45.250 inches, but from a line through the centre of the motorcycle tyres to the centre of the sidecar tyre print on the ground. Because different sidecar manufactures have different sidecar wheel cambers (lean in) they have to do it to the centre of the sidecar tyre print on the ground. Seeing that you are not going to race your sidecar, you would not be tied to the F.I.M rules anyway.

2:- You said that you may use 8 inches of sidecar wheel lead.
Most sidecarcross sidecars have about 16 inches of sidecar wheel lead.
Because your Honda XR 650 has quite a short wheel base , I think the maximum you will be able to have is between 12 to 13 inches. But this would be quite satisfactory, because you intend to use it mainly on the road. I personally would not have 8 inches lead, because it would make the rear wheel try to lift on fast left hand bends (if your sidecar is fitted on the right side of your motorcycle) if you were riding without a pillion or sidecar passenger.

If you require any further information, or drawings, please contact me direct, you have my e-mail address.

Regards..........John Wolverson.