Whitney/Sidoti desert action videos - Team Hog Wild

News about sidecars competing in the Dakar Rally and other enduro related items

Moderator: Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whitney/Sidoti desert action videos - Team Hog Wild

Post by Scott »

I mounted a helmet-cam on the back of our sidecar, and took it out to the desert for some torture testing. The location is Dumont Dunes, which is 60 miles south-west of Las Vegas, on the edge of Death Valley.

This first clip is when my passenger Matt abandoned me out in the sand dunes, and left me for dead. Without his help getting going (pushing), I got stuck and had to dig the bike out.
Video Part 1 - Stuck

In Part 2, Matt is back on, and we are crossing a small dune on the way out on a 120 mile off-road loop.
Video Part 2 - Dunes

In Part 3, we are doing some pretty rough whooped out stuff.
Video Part 3 - Whoops

Part 4 is some high speed stuff. Too bad the camera is bouncing around so much.
Video Part 4 - High Speed

Towards the end of the ride we got a flat front tire going over some really nasty rocky stuff along side Interstate 15. We turned back, and jumped on the pavement at Baker and rode 30 miles back to Dumont Dunes averaging about 90mph. By that time the camera was dead, so no video of that.

Comments anyone?
Last edited by Scott on Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pascal
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Pascal »

:-(

Unfortunately I can't watch the videos... here in the office I'm sitting behind a silly firewall and at home my modem ist much to slow!
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

The Stuck video is classic - plus proves you don't need that danged passenger, wherever he was :-)

Where exactly did you mount the camera - right on the rear fender, or up on some kind of arm?

Post by Guest »

Pascal, maybe you can Right-Click on the movie link, do a Save Target As to your hard disk, then play it from there? It requires Windows Media Player. Yes, the videos are large files, so you do need a high-speed connection.

bsachris, the camera mounting was a real problem. We worked in the garage until we figured out this unique approach (see photo below). I think this is why the camera bounces around so much. Unfortunately, this guy won’t come out riding with us anymore, so now we have to find a new way to mount the camera.
bsachris

Post by bsachris »

Very funny ;-) And to make matters worse he added 170 lbs to the weight of the rig while you're trying to dig it out!

I put a camera on the helmet of the passenger once. We broke the camera, but I still think it would be a neat place to hang a camera for a sidecar excursion.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

bsachris wrote:Very funny ;-) And to make matters worse he added 170 lbs to the weight of the rig while you're trying to dig it out!
Yep, he wouldn't even get off and help me, though I got him pretty good with the rear wheel roost!
bsachris wrote:I put a camera on the helmet of the passenger once. We broke the camera, but I still think it would be a neat place to hang a camera for a sidecar excursion.
Here's Pat wearing the ESPN helmet-cam at Pikes Peak. It's a great angle when following another sidecar, but not so great for seeing the rig and riders carrying the camera. Pikes Peak Video
roger
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Post by roger »

Nice shot's Scott, it's too bad that dakar is not possible for you this year.
But now you have another year to practice :-?
Nice shot also from pikes peak, i didn't know that the solo's drove at the same time (together) with the sidecars !!
http://www.sidecarteam-reipen.de it takes 2 to tango!!!
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

roger wrote:Nice shot's Scott, it's too bad that dakar is not possible for you this year.
But now you have another year to practice :-?
Nice shot also from pikes peak, i didn't know that the solo's drove at the same time (together) with the sidecars !!
Roger,
Yes, I will continue to improve the bike, do testing, and practice for another year for Dakar 2006.

At Pikes Peak, normally the "Vintage" solo bikes start a few minutes ahead of the sidecars. They are slower than us, so we often pass one or two near the top of the mountain. In the video, we pass one in the final hairpin turn before the finish. A few years ago we had some real excitment there with a sidecar from Sweden (click here to see photo). Next year the Pikes Peak race will allow standard motocross sidecars in a special class. Some of you European teams could really have some fun at this race in June or July! Read about the fun at this great race HERE.
Pascal
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Pascal »

Anonymous wrote:Pascal, maybe you can Right-Click on the movie link, do a Save Target As to your hard disk, then play it from there? It requires Windows Media Player. Yes, the videos are large files, so you do need a high-speed connection.
Thanks for the help, bu unfortunately this doesn't work too :-( Our system stops the download ...! (Seems, our firewall is not too bad... :-? )
Pascal
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Post by Pascal »

Scott wrote:[Yes, I will continue to improve the bike, do testing, and practice for another year for Dakar 2006.
Scott, I REALLY hope, it works next year. Did you hear anything about new technical regulations for motorbikes for the Dakar-Rallye 2006?

I heard, that the cubic capacity for two cylinder-bikes will be limited...? :shock:
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Pascal wrote:Scott, I REALLY hope, it works next year. Did you hear anything about new technical regulations for motorbikes for the Dakar-Rallye 2006? I heard, that the cubic capacity for two cylinder-bikes will be limited...? :shock:
There is a new rule starting this year. No 2-wheel motorcycles allowed with 2-cylinders over 450ccm. That rule does not apply to sidecars. So, I am ok for 2006 and the Swiss team is ok for 2005.
Pascal
Team SidecarCross.com
Team SidecarCross.com

Fine!

Post by Pascal »

I'm happy to hear that! Go on, Scott!!!! :-D