rear tyre width

Questions and answers about mechanical things, sidecar construction, riding techniques, etc.

Moderators: Rien.nl, Scott

davelanyon

rear tyre width

Post by davelanyon »

Hello.
We have room for a wider rear tyre but it has been suggested that a bit narrower is better as it allows it to slide better on the left handers. I struggle with this as i feel that drive is everything and that you get to the corner ahead then, to some extent you are in control of that corner.
I dont profess to be an expert and your views would be much appreciated! cheers
ian.uk
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Re: rear tyre width

Post by ian.uk »

To turn left you must be able to break traction, like a rally car, and let the back slide. Too much grip and the bike will try to go straight on, no matter how much you turn the bars. Big engines with lots of power/torque can run a wider tyre than a smaller engine; also depends on the track, it's easier to get the tyre to go sideways on a hard track than one with big ruts in. We have a YZ450 powered outfit and run standard solo width tyres. Too much grip bogs the engine. Hope that helps.
I was wrong all last season, and, according to my e'mails I'm wrong this season. Still, while it is my fault no one else is getting the blame.
davelanyon

Re: rear tyre width

Post by davelanyon »

Cheers.
That was the way i understood it. My thoughts were that provided you have the power/ situation to make her slide that wider was better for traction. I suppose there are situations where a narrower tyre would cut through to hard stuff quicker.
As a general rule, "is wider better".
Personally, i would go as wide as i can, with the power to deal with the slide i am not sure of any reason not too! Which is why i asked the question to see if i could tease out some views that suggest differently.
thanks again