USA / Round 2 - Big Six GP @ Glen Helen, California / result

AMA, AHRMA

Moderator: Scott

chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

USA / Round 2 - Big Six GP @ Glen Helen, California / result

Post by chris m. johnson »

This was an ideal weekend for a Grand Prix here in California for this two day event. There were 1301 racers entered with over 5,000 persons passing through the gate to watch Ty davis, Matt Tilley, Johnny Campbell, Paul Krause, Larry Roselar and the young KTM phenom Kurt Cassalli put on one of the best GP shows in a long time.

The Prairie Dogs motorcycle club did an outstanding job of track layout/prep and running the show on time for most of the weekend. This course comprises of two motocross tracks, part of a supercross track, flat out sand washes and mountain ridges above the facility for close to a 20km distance.

There were only four teams that showed but by far, was one of the best sidecar races I have ever been in. Zabel/EML mounted Mike Burns Jr. & Matt Sidoti pulled the holeshot with XR650/EML Mark McDade & Bob Morgan in second, XL650/EML Dave Krone & Garry Cass in the third and Chris Johnson (myself) & M. Paul Stimson on a CR530/EML rounding off the troop.

Paul and I took the outside line and railed around the outside of Krone/Cass & McDade/Morgan on the high bank to take over second behind Burns/Sidoti where these positions remained the same until Burns/Sidoti get a bit sideways and stalled in the trees heading toward Blockbuster Pavillion. All three teams after Burns/Sidoti got by at that time where the order swapped back and forth between Krone/Cass, Paul & myself and McDade/Morgan for a total of seven lead changes between all four teams.

By the end of the second lap, Paul Stimson recovering from a bout of pneumonia could not keep that pace so we back out of contention and the other three teams all got by. McDade/Morgan held off Krone/Cass till the end of the ridges where they then lost the lead. At this time, Burns/Sidoti from behind then takes over the lead from everyone for the final checker.

We were all within view the entire race with an outstanding race for spectators & other quad racers on course.
Official results:

1). Mike Burns Sr. / Matt Sidoti - 700 Zabel / EML 200pts.

2). Dave Krone / Garry Cass - XL650 Honda / EML 170pts.

3). Mark McDade / Bob Morgan - XR650 Honda / EML 160pts.

4). Chris Johnson / M. Paul Stimson - CR530 Honda / EML 150pts.

Next race / April 3rd - 9:00am / 3rd Round AMA District 37 Big Six Hilltoppers Grand Prix / 29 Palms, CA, USA
Mike Burns Jr

Post by Mike Burns Jr »

Chris,
:?: :?: :?: What race were YOU at? :?: :?: :?:
EMLMTH1
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

Wookies are not forever

Yes I did make a mistake in the results at teh Prairie Dogs(only one), :twisted: you did pass Mcdade before Krone passed him but other than that, your mind is out in space somewhere !!!
Mike Burns Jr

Fastest Wookie you know

Post by Mike Burns Jr »

8-) Chris,

Just thought my dad finished pretty good.

1). Mike Burns Sr. / Matt Sidoti - 700 Zabel / EML 200pts.

Looking forward to 29palms, redesigned course this year.

See Ya,

Mike
EMLMTH1
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

OH !!!

Your Famous Dad has not left us in some ways / You have a big slate to follow but you are well on your way !!! Sorry !!
chris m. johnson
Active Visitor 100
Active Visitor 100

twenty-nine palms

Hey Mike,

I spoke to several Hilltoppers on Sunday / The course is going to be 10.2 miles long (26.42km) instead of the nine mile (23.3km) long from the previous years, and wide open / fast / whoopied / and fast (oh did I said fast twice) gear to the moon.

are you Zabeling or MTHin 29 stumps ?
is there going to be the traditional party at your moms after the race ?

I also heard you are going trailing to Gorman tomarrow / is that true. I think I am going to try to meet up with the Whitneys at El Mirage / SEEYA, be safe and have fun.

CIAO - chris